Family.

I woke on a damp, cold ground.  My body sat up.  The fresh wounds sent pain rushing through my abdomen and arm.  I groaned lifting my shirt to examine the wound.  The skin looked burned.  Just then the branches moved as a figure shuffled in.  They had something in their hands.  It was the older man from the night before.

"Hey," my voice croaked.

"Oh, you're up?" he smiled, "how are you feeling?"

"Sore. Guess you really don't know what you have until it's gone.  This would have been nothing for me before."

"I hope you don't mind.  I cauterized the wounds you had.  There really wasn't much else I could do to help you."

"Why are you helping me anyway?  I probably have a lot of people here that want me dead for good.  Or do you not know who I am?"

"I know who you are."

He had a makeshift plate with a cooked fish on it.  I looked at it then to him.  The last time I was here I didn't need to eat because I was half demon.  But this time I'd probably starve before finding my way out of here.  He looked happy that he was able to take care of me.  I set the still warm fish on the ground.

"Who are you?" I asked forcefully.

"I told you my name," he retorted.

"You know what I mean.  Is the fish poisoned or something?"

"No."

"Then why go through all this trouble for me?"

"I guess I owe you an explanation, but first eat."

"Fine."

I used my hands to pull the meat off of the fish.  It wasn't anything special.  But it was food.  I didn't have a choice to turn it down.  Unless I wanted to starve.  And if I was going to see Dean again I had to do what I could to stay alive.  When I finished eating I set the leftovers next to me.  I wiped my hands on the dress I was wearing.  If only she didn't hate my taste in practical clothes I wouldn't be in Purgatory in a stupid dress.

"So you can explain now if you want," I said coldly.

"Well, it's not exactly simple," he started.

"Make it simple," I cut him off.

"Stubborn just like your mother," he groaned under his breath.

"What did you just say? How did you know her? Were you the one that forced her into having an abomination like me?"

"Forced?  What?  No!  That isn't how it happened."

"Right because demons are so honest."

"I'll tell you the truth if you just stop interrupting me for a second," he paused and took a deep breath in, "I loved her very much.  But it's rather taboo for a demon, or an angel, to fall in love with a human.  But she was something else.  I told her what I was.  She didn't care."

"Uh huh, and she was just okay with it?  I mean it's not like that's what you really look like."

"I guess we connected on a deeper level."

"Or you were part of that 'let's create a bunch of freak half breeds'  project.  Even if I were to believe you. How'd you end up here?"

"How do you think I ended up here? I was killed."

"Why?"

"Because they found out about you.  I don't mean to brag but I was a good demon.  I had a lot of strength and they wanted you to be part of that stupid thing.  I tried to get you two somewhere safe.  I really did."