Little Games.

Troutdale, Oregon
3:24am

My eyes stared up at the ceiling.  Sam came back after a few minutes of leaving Dean and I to talk.  I tried to sleep, but after the lights went out I found myself just staring upwards.  My hands rest on my stomach as my fingers intertwined.  I yearned to be back here.  To sleep in a bed, to be next to Dean.  And now that I had those things it wasn't any easier.  Every tiny sound sent tension through my body.  My breath held in my lungs a few times.  After a moment of silence my body relaxed and my lungs resumed their normal rhythm of breathing.  Dean rolled over at one point to face me. He opened his eyes slightly to find me wide awake. His hand rest on mine.

"Hey," he said in a barely audible tone, "you alright?"

"Can't sleep," I said just as quiet.

"Come here."

He led my body toward his chest.  His hands ran through my hair carefully.  The warmth of his skin, the calm sound of his breathing, everything seemed to be calming me.

"I know it's hard to adjust, but I'm here.  Sam's here.  We're not going to let anything happen to you, okay?"

"I know that.  It's just-"

"You've spent so long there.  Yeah I get it.  But I'm not going anywhere. So try to get some sleep."

"Thanks Dean."

His lips pressed against the top of my head.  But even though I felt safe I didn't have very good sleep that night.  Dean fell right back to sleep.  I found myself sitting up and rubbing the back of my head.  My eyes found the clock it had only been an hour and a half since Dean tried to coax me to sleep. I sat up and pressed my feet on the floor.  I snuck over to my bag and grabbed some change.  Quietly the door opened and I left it slightly ajar so I could get back in.  I grabbed a bottle of water and took a long sip.  It's funny the small things you take for granted.  I headed back to the room and shut the door behind me.  I sat on the ground.  I was afraid I might wake him up.  My head leaned on the side of the mattress.  I set the water at my side. I stared ahead.  The night sky barely visible through the curtains over the window.  Finally my eyes grew heavy.  They closed for a moment as I fell into a deep slumber.

A few hours later

Sam and Dean had woken up.  When Dean realized I wasn't in the bed he sat up.  Sam walked into the bathroom to get ready. Dean stood up. His feet touching the ground on the side opposite of me. He pulled on his jeans and walked around the bed.  He stopped just shy of me. My figure was sitting still where I was the night before.  My head hung a little low as a soft snore escaped my lips.  He leaned down putting his hand on my shoulder.  My eyes shot open. I forgot where I was. In a moment my body sprung from the ground. My foot swept under Dean's feet as my hands pushed his shoulders. He fell back, but not before wrapping his arm around my waist. I fell on top of him. My eyes looked around realizing I was no longer in Purgatory.  I felt warmth spring across my face.  Dean grinned as his hand tightened on my waist.

"Well, sweetheart, if you wanted to be on top all you had to do was ask," he beamed.

"Uh, I forgot-"

His lips pressed against mine for just a moment. His free hand pushed back the falling hair from my face.  I stood up and reached down to him.  I helped him back to his feet.

"You're not there anymore, ____," he said, "we'll keep you safe. I promise."

"I was just testing to see how your reflexes were. You're still slow," I said.

"Aw, my little hunter is all nervous."

"I'm not a hunter."

"You are now. Your old life is gone whether you like it or not.  You're stuck with us now."