Conversations And Bedtime Stories.

Dean waited patiently by my side.  My throat groaned as my eyes slowly opened. Dean leaned forward and took my hand in his. I shot up but pain ached through my body. Dean pressed his hand against my shoulder encouraging me to lay back down.

"I'm going to grab a doctor, hold on," he said.

"Dean, I-" I started.

"I should really get a doctor."

"We have to talk."

"And we will. I need to make sure you're okay. Alright?"

I nodded as he walked out of the room. A doctor came in before him. He smiled at me.  He looked over my vitals before standing at the end of my bed.

"So, how are you feeling?" the doctor asked.

"A little dizzy, kinda nauseous," I answered.

"That isn't uncommon.  Is there someone we could contact about the child?"

"I didn't lose it?"

"No, you're very lucky in a lot of ways.  I know the agents here have you in protective custody when this happened.  But is there someone we should notify..."

My eyes drifted to Dean who became rigid in his chair. The doctor looked between us and pieced it together.

"Well, I'm not one to judge. Confidentiality and all," he sort of chuckled.

Sweat was dripping down my forehead. My breathing as becoming more labored as I looked at the doctor.  He moved over to me as a light flashed in my eyes.  Dean stood up as my eyes glazed over and stared ahead of me.

"She's running a fever," he said lifting the cloth to examine the wound, "it's infected. We'll have to get her started on antibiotics for this."

"Is she okay?" Dean asked.

"She should be. We'll keep an eye on her."

He left the room as a nurse came in with an intravenous bag. She attached it to the machine as the flow of antibiotics entered my blood. My head tilted to Dean as he forced a smile.

"You don't have to smile if you don't feel like it," I said.

"I'm happy you are okay.  I'm sorry, ____, I wasn't strong enough to-"

"It wasn't you.  You wouldn't do that."

"But-"

"Dean, it's okay."

"No, it's not. I could have killed you, or the baby."

"But you didn't," I smiled.

"Can you just be mad at me for a second?"

"No, these painkillers have me blissfully blissful.  I just don't care. Because everything is fine."

I smiled at him as he held my hand tightly.  He couldn't help but return the smile. I yawned as my head sunk into the pillow.

"Tired?" he asked.

"Exhausted."

"Get some rest. I'll be right here when you wake up, okay?"

I nodded. He stood up and gave my forehead a kiss.  My eyes closed as I fell back into a peaceful slumber.  Dean stayed by my side, leaving only to get a cup of coffee and use the restroom after a few hours.  He came back to the room to be met by the doctor.  Dean peered inside to see nurses working around me urgently.

"What is it now?" Dean asked exasperated.

"The infection is moving quickly.  We expect it to keep going at this rate."