Chapter four

After seeing what I saw last week, in "my backyard," I never dared to go there again. I couldn’t believe what happened tonight, Emily ran over to my locker, after school, excited and telling me that her crush had finally asked her out.

 So, good for her.

 The problem was, Em was afraid to go by herself, and she wanted me to go with her, so we spent an hour fooling around at her house, trying to find the best outfit to wear. I swear, I am the worse person to bring to a date, but if I don't decide to go, I'd have to stay home. In the house of four apparitions.

 It turns out Em's crush brought a friend with him, and to make a long story short, that guy asked me to prom. The problem is, I kept calling him "Hottie" in my mind and kinda forgot to ask him what his real name is, so I'm officially going to prom with Mr. No name. He somehow knew that my name was Molly though. As we drove home, Emily asked the question.

 "So, Molls, you going to prom with, um, Dave's friend, now? What's his name?"

 "Actually, I don't know." I admitted, blushing.

 "Molly, seriously!?"

 "I'll find out, maybe you can ask Dave." I dropped her off at her awesome apartment, and then slugged back home.

 Nothing can ruin my night, not tonight, even if Kimberly tries to shove her darn ring in my face again, like yesterday. She even asked me, what kind of wedding dress she should wear, when I know that she would just take that opportunity to tell me how bad my fashion tenses are.

 When I get home, I immediately run to the bathroom. My hair always looks nice when I first curl it, but of course, it's a mess now. Alicia runs in, expectantly.

"Hey, wanna come to Shop Rite with me and Mom?" I consider this for a while, being home alone. Cole would've been here, if it were for that his precious future wife decided to bring him to her house.

"No, I gotta deal with my hair." I roll my eyes.

"At least you're a Blondie." She sighs. I look at her dark brown hair.

"Very funny." I sigh.

"So I'm guessing that's a no?"

I answered, without knowing how much I would soon regret it.

_____________________________________________________________

I found them that night.

With a blink, the power went off, and I was alone in the dark. I started shivering. All the hallways suddenly looked more than two hundred years old here, and knowing the fact that there's ghost here, doesn't help.

There were no lights coming from the windows, I had to call Mom, but my phone was charging, and now it's 1% full. Not much help.

My heart hammered, terribly breaking my ribs, almost. I suddenly notice a door at the end of one of the halls, one that I never noticed before. My legs bring me to it, my hand covers the knob. I turn it, and slowly, the door creaks open. My heart stops, my pulse stops, my brain stops working, everything in my body stops completely. I can no longer feel the coolness of the knob in my hand, I cannot hear a thing but dead silence. I cannot speak, I cannot breathe, but I can see.

The woman's body sits on the ground, her back straight, her eyeballs lock with mine, she has short black hair, and her skin is breaking. Her lips are twisted slightly into a grin, sending a message to my head "If I have to die, I want to die smiling." Her neck is cut open completely, there's bones on the ground, beneath her broken legs. One is longer than the other. And she's not the only body.

Her husband looks no better, his eyes are closed, he looks scared and helpless, and as if he knew that he won't be found until two hundred years later. Until the killer died without charge. There are holes of dried blood on his face.

My eyes travel to the young teenage girl sitting in a corner with a brown ponytail; she's wearing a dirty apron. Her heart is dug out and on her apron, my eyes fill with tears.

This is Eleanor.

Lastly I see the serial rapist, like his mother, he's grinning, even more. He had long hair that covered his face. I was right; his usual body was very scary. For his assault, his eyeballs are pushed in, instead of dug out, the gruesome picture, throws me on the ground.

How could it have been this way? This way.

That's when the door slams. I'm alone; I'm alone with the bodies! I find myself screaming. My heart hammers, a little too fast, I may die here, and never be discovered like them. That's when the serial rapist moves, just a little movement of his left arm, but I trample myself to the door.

It. Is. Locked.

I scream louder, as the darkness suffocates me. I kick the door, hard. I hear other sounds in the room, sounds that aren't made from me.

The door bounces open, and I run out, but it closes again, by itself. One of them must've closed it. I use all the weight I have in me to force that old wooden door open.

It does.

I step out and slam the door. Giggles, I hear giggles.

The front door opens, I freeze. A coated figure walks in. My heart stops and speeds up, stops and speeds up, stops and speeds up. I breathe in, out, in, out, in, out. I think about how Eleanor said that someone broke into their house. My mouth dries, I can't scream anymore.

___________________________________________________________

"Molly? Molly!" It's my mother. I slowly open my eyes, my vision blurs.

 "Where's Alicia?"

"She's out in the garage."

 "Thank you so much, for coming back." I whisper.

 "Molly, what happened?" Before I can answer, my mother is taken away from me, I am alone again, no longer safe.

 "So?" The apparition grins. “How was that to you?"

 "Who are you?"

 "I'm Mrs. Abramson." She smirks. "You're going to help us, aren't you?"

 "Well, there's really nothing that I can do." My heart doesn’t stop hammering.

 "Mom?" I hear Alicia's voice. No, I cannot let my sister feel as frightened as how I just felt.

 "Please! Get out of my mother, now!" I shout.

 "Uh huh, I'm going to leave."

 "Please!" My voice drones out. "Please... please... please." She does, with a blinding white light, just as Alicia arrives. "Thank you, serial rapist's mother." I whisper.

 "What happened?" My mother asks, confused.

 "Mom, we have to move." I can't let anyone in my family find out about the bodies in that room. "Now."

 "Molly, I know this isn't the most beautiful place, you've ever been to, but it's only for a year, as soon as Daddy comes back, we'll be moving away."

 "Please!" My voice drones out, once again. "Please... please... please."