Chapter seven

Nothing but trees.

 They have no leaves, they look dead and tall to me, I am surrounded. I scream, but I have no voice. It's been dark for too long, and now I believe that morning will never come again. I shiver, it's freezing, the trees have no leaves, but there are no snow, just.... black ground.

 I look at the ground, and I see it. A corpse. The body's laying there with its mouth open. I run away, speechless, just to trip over another corpse. This one’s mouth is closed.

 I soon realize it, the ground is covered with corpses, there's a body here, and one behind me. This time, when I scream, I actually have a voice, and I'm grateful of that fact.

 But who am I even screaming to? There is no one but me over here! I start to worry, who killed all these corpses? Am I going to join them? I run, but even after I fall on the ground, exhausted, I haven't gotten out of this place.

 I lay there, helpless, I hear my own breathe and my own heart beating, the body next to me has one eyeball. I shiver.

 "Molly!" My eyes widen and I sit up right away.

 It's Alicia. My mouth drops one, and fear shoots all over me, she's on the ground, her chest is covered with blood.

 "Who- who did this to you!? What happened!? Why are you here!? Why are we here?" The first tear forms and falls.

 "Stay....."

 "I am!" I bend down to examine her face.

 "Keep him away from me...."

 "He's gone! You're alive, and you're safe!" I want to hug her, but there's just... too much blood.

 "Stay..."

 "I am! I'm not leaving!"

 "Stay!" She's using her breath for nothing! At this point, I can see that my sister may not make it. "Stay with me..."

 "Quickly, tell me who did this." I gasp.

 "Stay!"

 "Please." Her eyes start to turn glassy. I look around. The bodies are unmoving, and soon so is my sister.

 "Alicia! You're fine! Don't leave!" But she already did, she wanted me to stay, but she never stayed with me. I watch her eyelids close; I can no longer see her brown eyes.

 Alicia McAllister is now one of the bodies on the ground.

 "Molly! Wake up!" My eyes fly open; Alicia is whole and fine, in fact gigging. I sigh in relief. I can't believe that was just a... nightmare. "What is up with you? Just because it's Saturday." She rolls her eyes. 

 "I'm fine." I find myself still shivering. "I just wish that..."

 "What?"

 "That I can't dream about the future."

 ___________________________________________________________

 Of course Alicia and I were alone at home again, Mom has been gone for days, still at Kimberly's, planning that wedding, I'm forced to attend. I used to tell Cole that Kimberly's too old for him; I mean she's 29, after all. Of course nobody listened to me.

 I spent the rest of the day shopping with Emily and Lexica, back to school, and all that, I can't believe I'm going to be a senior so soon, I feel like I'm not growing up as fast as I should be.

 Em and Lexie went home around seven, and I went to a coffee shop, and unfortunately I was in the middle of a big gulp when she spoke up.

 "People changed so much." She startled me so much, I choked for a while. "You okay?"

 "Eleanor, since when were you here!?" I ask, alarmed, between coughs.

 "I was with you at the mall, but it was so bright in that store, like you know the one will a sparkly tiled floor? Forever twenty one? Yes, I waited outside. But I did like that store, Hollister, I think; it was so dark there were barely any lights."

 "Okay I get it, but why were you here?"

 "Just wanted to spend time with you,"

 "How nice." I mutter. "I can't even see you."

 "I actually work better in with camas,"  

 "What are camas?" I ask, throwing away my empty coffee cup.

 "You know, those boxes that capture time, like it started out very big, but now you can call with them too."

 "You mean Cameras?"

 "Yeah!" I unlock my car, and hold the door out for her. Once, I can see that no one's looking; I whip out my phone and snap a selfie.

 When I pull the picture back up, sure enough here's a girl shadow behind me.

 "I still can't see your face, though." I sigh.

 "You can in mirrors."

 "Really!?" I gasp, excited. This is like the coolest thing ever.

 "Isn't that a little too creepy?"

 "No." I start to drive home.

 ___________________________________________________________

 I started to have second thoughts when we got to my room, my hand was shivering, as I pulled out a hand mirror, I had since third grade. I peer into, starring into the deep blue eyes.

 "Okay, I'm ready." I say, my heart beats faster, I feel like I'm in some sort of horror movie.

 I see it.

 I see her.

 A pale girl with green eyes and long brown hair is right behind me in the reflection. She looks completely normal, like a girl who still has a beating heart.

 "Oh my god." I gasp, and turn around, of course nothing is behind me, I turn back to the mirror, she's still behind me.

 "Molly, your friends really remind me of Amanda and Natalie." I watch her lips move, she's a real person.

"Wait, sorry, who are they?"

 "My friends, they never knew how I died, but they were maids, they both worked at the house farther down this backyard."

 "The one... with the mysterious neighbors?" I think back to that day, when I ran in the woods, that scream I heard. Definitely there was someone alive there.