Fili's Birth

The Birth of Fili

The child was born that following Autumn. Dis had laboured an entire day and night to bring him into the world and Thorin was not there.

It was Dis' hope that Thorin would find peace in the comfort that life in the Blue Mountains brought. Yet, her brother remained restless. It reminded her of the time before they came to the Blue Mountains, the hunger and the cold. Her brother had bore it all to keep her safe. He had laboured every day, and hunted every night to stop the spread of starvation amongst their kin.

Once they had reached safety, she had hoped he would stop. His duty was the poisonous vine and him, the noble oak; the vine twisting around him and slowly suffocating him. As children, she had forever chastised him for his lack of interest in friends and then later, lovers. Now she doubted he would ever feel that way towards anyone. He had lost so much. Mahal forbid, they both had.

He had embarked on a journey to the Iron Hills to seek council with their cousin and she assumed, would proposition the Seven once again into retaking Erebor. There was little hope in them agreeing, and Dis prayed her brother would fail. There was nothing but death in that mountain.

The child had come earlier than expected, and as she gasped in pain, her beloved stood idly by and waited in silence. Remi was a changed man, that much she knew, but so were all who battled that day. And as she heard the first cry of her newborn son, she knew in her heart that the worst was finally behind them.

-

Late was the hour Thorin returned to the Blue Mountains. As he paced the entrance, he felt the all too familiar stares of his kin. For centuries, the Kings of Durin had been great in the eyes of the people, anointed and crowned by Mahal himself, they had been the beacons of wealth and prosperity. A symbol to be admired and to be worshiped.

All that was left of this noble line was a failure, he thought to himself as he strolled to his quarters. At best, a dwarven stranger might mistake him for a battle-hardened warrior, at worst a loner. His hair was tatty, the long ends mattered and dirt had rendered his royal cloak unrecognisable.

He entered the chambers with a deep sigh and let the filthy cloak fall to the ground. And then he saw her. His sister was glowing, a smile from ear to ear.

"Brother, I would like to introduce you to someone." She told him, gently placing the bundle she was carrying into his hands. Thorin stared down at the tiny creature, and found that he could not speak. The infant's bright blue eyes were fixed on him, and a lock of golden hair was curled against his small head.

"His name is Fili."

"Fili?" Thorin asked, surprised. It was a name he had heard before.

Dis smiled sadly. "Frerin used to say that if he ever had a son, he would name him Fili. I wanted to honour him."

"He is so small," Thorin chuckled, stroking the baby's head. Fili wriggled in his Uncle's arms and softly murmured a yawn, his bright blue eyes closing. With the greatest care, Thorin returned the babe to his sister and let out a yawn himself.

"You must rest, brother." She told him, and then she laughed merrily, "when this little devil wakes up, you'll to need it!"