Fili's First Steps

Fili's First Steps

Durin's day was fast approaching and the folk of the Blue Mountains were rapidly preparing their celebrations. It was an event much needed, Thorin thought to himself, as he dumped the tousled pile of scrolls on the stone bench. Relations between the Dwarves of Erebor and those of the Blue Mountains were tense at the moment, with fights breaking out every day. The Lord of the Blue Mountains had even told Thorin he feared a revolt, and if this behaviour was to continue, the Dwarves of Erebor would have to find somewhere else to reside.

He didn't notice the crawling infant behind him until it was too late. The small wooden goat Fili was pushing, was crushed by Thorin as he took a step back.

If the crunch didn't alert Thorin, the screeching wail that followed certainly did.

"Fili!" He exclaimed, picking the sobbing boy up. He had grown so much over the past year, and already his hair had thickened into a short mane. The toddler just continued sobbing, and Thorin who had usually been quite good at cheering the little fella, was at a lost of what to do.

In a desperate attempt to cease the wails, he began to bounce the boy in his arms and paced down to the armoury. Once down there, Fili stopped crying and his wide little eyes scanned the gleaming armour and engraved swords. Thorin smiled softy, the boy was like him in so many ways. As a child, he had been fascinated by the sword and the stories of the great heroes of old. If only, he had paid more attention, he thought sadly to himself. Maybe his kin would have never lost their home.

Thorin placed the boy down onto the marble floor, and reached the smallest of the training swords. He wrapped the boys fingers around the sword and he smiled to himself, as Fili's little face lit up. However, it did not last long as the toddler threw the tiny wooden sword onto the raised step next to him. And then once again, Fili began to wail.

"If you want the sword," Thorin told him sternly. "Go get it. You are a son of Durin, and it is our duty to fight for our family, our people and our home." Fili's confused and blotchy face was not at all surprising and Thorin petted the boy on the head, Fili really was too young to understand.

However, what Fili did next was entirely surprising. The toddler who had only ever rolled and crawled, placed his little hands on the step and pulled himself up. Thorin watched in wonder, as the boy edged across the step and grasped the little sword with his chubby outstretched hand.

"Dis!" Thorin called, as he picked the toddler up and ran to the main hall. Dis, who had been placing candles for the nearing celebrations, turned to her brother and crossed her arms, wondering what could be so important that he had to yell for her. However, when she saw her little boy, her face softened.

"He took his first steps." He told her, and Dis' eyes flashed murder.

"He what?!" She exclaimed in outrage. "You're not serious, Thorin. Not without me!"

He smirked at his sister's reaction and smugly told her that in fact, he was serious indeed.