1. Family Ties

(i'm sorry the first couple chapters are cringey🤮 i'll change them one day but it gets better promise)

Jesus.

JESUS!

I'm so fucking nervous right now, it's not even funny. I haven't seen them for months. Not since everything went to shit. Not since that horrible night. The night where two disastrous things happened. One of them is my parents death. The other... well, I really don't want to talk about it. I'm not fully recovered from it.

But I have to come home to my family. Like I would have all those months ago, but I didn't. I didn't.

I know that was extremely selfish of me, but I've come to terms with how selfish I can be. I'm the most selfish one out of my whole family, but I try not to be. I don't even let it show that much. My family is just really selfless, so it's not really my fault. Oi vey. See, I am a bit selfish, more than I care to admit.

Whatever, that is besides the point. I should probably tell you who I am. My name is Emily Gilbert. My brother is Jeremy Gilbert, and my sister, well twin sister, is Elena Gilbert. We were identical besides our hair. Hers is naturally straight, and mine naturally curly, well more like wavy.

A couple of months ago I was at a party with my sister and our friends. At the party something horrible happened to me that I wouldn't care to repeat. In fact, I haven't told anyone. After it happened, I didn't want to tell anyone.

I texted Elena, telling her I was going home. I had a friend come pick me up, and I "snuck" into my house and started packing. After everything was packed, I went downstairs to tell my parents goodnight. When I was at the bottom of the stairs, I saw my aunt Jenna slamming the house phone down crying and cursing. She was searching for something in her purse. It turned out to be her keys. She hadn't noticed me, but she stormed out the house.

After the door slammed shut, Jeremy came around the corner holding the other house phone, signaling he had been listening in the conversation. A tear was streaked down his face. "What the hell is going on, Jer?"

He turned around, while another tear leaked out of his eye. "It's mom and d-dad, and Elena." I gave him a questioning look. "They were in a car accident." And with that he too stormed out of the house. And I was just standing there like an idiot with a hand over my mouth.

I later found out that Elena got worried about me, so she called mom and dad to come pick her up. On the way back they went over the Wickery bridge. The only survivor was Elena. And they don't even know how she survived. But I found this out by my best friend Caroline Forbes, because her mother was the sheriff.

I left that night. I left Jenna. I left Jeremy. I left Elena. I left all of them when they needed me the most. When we all needed each other, but again I'm selfish and went to take care of myself. Like I said, two things happened to me that night.

So that, lead to here. Me standing outside of my house, my bags behind me. And I walked in. Leaving my bags behind, because I'm just way too lazy to move them.

"Scum ball. Scum bucket," I heard Jenna say.

"Ok, ok, I know I've been gone, but I'm not that bad," I said with a teasing tone in my voice. "OI! I'm human. I need to breathe. Dying painfully. Slowly," I said while Elena and Jenna engulfed me in a bear hug, where I couldn't breathe, so I started falling in their arms like I was dying. But that did not work, because they had me in a such a strong grip that I couldn't even move. "I'm serious now. Need air." Finally, they released me.

"Emily. I can't believe you are actually here. Standing in front of me. I've missed you so much. It's weird when people stop mistaking me for someone else," Elena said through the biggest smile I have ever seen on her face.