✴Chapter 15: A Penny For Your Thoughts

"Sure." Rebekah mumbled and quickly stood up, lowered her head and went upstairs back to her room.

Davina's body clenched, the air in the room growing thicker and thicker again. She knew where all this was going. From the moment she stepped in the room, everything in the atmosphere felt different; the aura of the Mikealson siblings, the air, everything was so bizarre.

Abruptly Esther's hand sank in her pocket and, slowly, she pulled out a vial with a leaf green liquid. The potion? Davina's eyes narrowed, still very cautious of the elder witch. As she was stretching her hand with the vial she smirked slightly, quite amused by Davina's frustration. "Before I give this to you, Davina, I would like to ask you one simple question. Oh don't worry, it is so simple that you only have to answer with a yes or a no."

The young girl raised an eyebrow. Oh of course. It would be one of those questions whose answer could define everything, or worse, change everything. Don't think though she didn't consider lying to Esther too. But what was the point? The powerful witch wasn't credulous or anything and any attempt to deceive her would result in becoming even more suspicious and guilty than she already was. On the other hand, telling the truth wasn't an option either. Were she to speak with honesty, her plan would crumble away. Oh was it a case of Scylla and Charybdis, then?

Her breathing was heavier and the spot on her forearm which was injured by the raven's claws that morning started feeling numb. Obviously she couldn't hold back the nervousness within her; it was even worse that she allowed herself to demonstrate it with an expression of fear and anxiousness plastered on her face. She attempted to shrug it off with a nonchalant nod but, it ended coming out as an awkward effort to play cool.

"Um sure, what is it?"

"Davina, let's be honest with one another. Your aura, your spiritual energy, everything about your presence emits very strange vibes. You have come in contact with the supernatural, you have experienced rituals and many hazardous spells. But in the end, these are only assumptions. This, is what your scent in a room gives off and may I say, it's not something I have witnessed before. Not something similar to that anyway."

"What are you talking about?"

Well. That was the best reply she could have thought of that moment. Davina was literally an open book for her at this point, any objection against her words would be a totally stupid action.

Esther flashed her the most affectionate smile she had ever used to address to someone, it was almost horrifying how sickening sweet it turned out to be. The following words came out shortly after her weird gesture, plain and simple. "Are you a witch, Davina?"

It came as no surprise to her. She had predicted this question from the moment Rebekah had brought up the whole "supernatural" conversation.

And a simple, straight question deserved a simple, straight answer.

"..Yes."

Esther smiled. She was very pleased with Davina's honesty.

~ • ~

His hands had turned red at this point, not certain whether it was caused by how tightly he was gripping the handle or because he happened to injure himself while chopping the tree's trunk with the axe.

His movements were quick and mechanical and, while his body was working with all its might in order to unleash every piece of the remaining rage within him, his mind was zoning out, blocking off every kind of sound or noise around him. He was so furious, that he didn't give a damn about the outside world.