✴Chapter 23: Reflexes

(A/N: An intense chapter! XD Hope you enjoy!)

Kol glanced at Ethan, regaining his composure in a brief second. The footsteps sounded closer than before, their voices travelling through the air. A cool breeze rustled through the trees, ruffling Davina's hair. Soon. Davina knew what was about to follow. But she was prepared.

Kol gave her a quick glance with a nod. Davina nodded back reassuringly and followed after him, minding her own steps in order to avoid sinking her feet too deep into the snow. With the corner of her eye she searched for the other two boys, but to no avail. Ethan and Kyle had already disappeared, hiding and waiting for the right time.

Since there was no good hiding spot in the forest, Kol decided it would be best to distance themselves from the sound of footsteps and hid behind a tree's trunk. This is it. This was their chance to stop them from moving any farther. Apparently they chose to walk past the river and take a shortcut in the woods which resulted in bumping into the group.

As soon as they hid behind the tree, Kol took a sneak peek at the girl next to him; she was completely calm, her face relaxed and serene, yet she was still well aware of her surroundings, her crystal clear green-blue eyes blinking rapidly. For a moment he started doubting his previous decision and wondered whether he really should have taken her with him. What if something happened to her? What if she got hurt? But then again, Davina was no common girl. She had already proven to him she could take care of herself, yet he had the need to look out for her, just in case.

Shaking those thoughts off, he whispered at her. “Darling, take this.”

Kol stretched out his hand and, when Davina's gaze lowered to his palm, she furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. “A knife? Why are you giving me that?”

He chuckled. “Isn't it obvious? You'll need that to defend yourself.”

She seemed even more confused. “I don't need that. I'll just use my magic and-”

“You can't use your power only, Davina. What about Ethan and Kyle? They don't know what you are. Do you want to risk it and let them find out about it?”

She tilted her head to the side and narrowed her eyes. “Why? Don't you trust them?”

He took a big breath. “I do but, at some point. Besides, this is your secret. And you don't want anyone finding out about it, yeah?”

She looked away, biting her under lip. “True.” she murmured stubbornly.

His eyes softened and he couldn't stop his right hand from cupping her left cheek. She was taken aback from his move but, so was he. Yet, she did not pull away or frowned. “Take it. I'm pretty sure you won't be afraid to use it anyway.” he teased her with a grin.

She finally cracked a smile, taking the knife from his other hand. Good. Since he managed to persuade her, he felt a bit more relaxed, knowing she had a weapon to defend herself with.

Behind a few trees to their left, Ethan and Kyle were keeping an eye on the hunters, who were now in their range of vision. The hunters, apart from the fact they had been carrying some weird crossbows and spears with them, you couldn't really say they looked anything extraordinary.

The cold, hollow sounds of their steps echoing made the little hairs on the back of Davina's neck rise. A battle was to start and she couldn't keep her excitement and the fire burning in her veins any longer. She was also certain Kol felt the same way, since his eyes were focused on the trespassers most of the time, his pupils expanding and becoming black huge orbs. Davina instantly looked away from him. How much that look on his face reminded her his present self.