✴Chapter 31: The Greenhouse

What the actual hell were they doing there?

Davina stood dumbfounded as they entered the greenhouse; it was a magnificent building with glass walls, filled with weird plants and a variety of flowers. She hadn't actually been in this place for quite a while, thanks to the Harvest and all. And, since she didn't really miss it, she had forgotten about its existence.

Until that day, when Kol Mikealaon decided to pay a visit.

"The greenhouse?" she said, throwing a quick glance around lazily. "Why are we here?"

Kol walked deeper in the greenhouse, his fingertips brushing a few leaves of some plants and herbs; he was looking around thoughtfully, halting every now and then to check a few plants which had caught his attention. It was more like he was searching for something in there, but Davina had no idea what could that be.

"In order to help you, I told you I needed something in return. Didn't I?" he snickered and sniffled a flower, "So it's time you did something for me too."

Davina crossed her arms and approached him slowly, her eyes now studying her surroundings more carefully. "Should I be worried?" she mumbled.

"Not at all, darling." he chuckled and narrowed his eyes playfully at her, "Consider this a very important lesson."

She furrowed her eyebrows confused.

Kol kept searching relentlessly in the greenhouse for that something and, when he finally did find it, he stuck out his pointer finger, benting it two times to signal the little witch to approach him.

When she stood next to him, she saw him holding a herb of some sort in his palm, something which she did not recognise. Kol, with the corner of his eye, saw the puzzled look in her eyes and smiled, ready to explain her. "Question time. Do you know what herb is this?"

At first, Davina did not take him seriously. Was he going to test her knowledge as a witch right now? For real? But when she saw the serious expression on his face, she let out a sigh and shrugged her shoulders. "Is it Rosemary?" she asked.

Kol gave her another chuckle of his, not in an attempt to mock her for her wrong answer, but because it thrilled him the way she was staring at him so perplexed.

"Even though you got it wrong, you guessed right its function." he handed her the unknown herb, "It's called Bacopa. Have you heard of it?"

Davina shook her head.

"Bacopa has a long history. It was used in ayurveda, a 5000-year-old ancient system of natural healing to enhance learning, concentration and memory. This specific herb is known to be an effective herb in improving one's memory and mental function." he explained, noticing instantly Davina's interest in the herb.

"So it's something like a cure to amnesia?"

"It's possible to be used as a cure to memory loss, to be exact. And this herb can be much more effective when a specific someone with extraordinary powers uses it."

Davina rolled her eyes, an ironic smile appearing on her face. She knew where this was going. "You mean a witch."

Kol's dark eyes glowed with excitement as he flashed a toothy smile, revealing his perfect pearly white teeth. "Exactly. Rosemary, as you mentioned before, is an aromatic herb that can also improve memory, but it is also used in aromatherapy since it reduces cortisol levels in the brain, thereby reducing anxiety. It's that over there, in the far corner of the greenhouse, see?" he pointed to the back, where indeed there was a plant with green needle-like leaves and purple flowers.