✴Chapter 26: Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Davina took a big breath as she exited the house. It was asphyyxiating in there.

Indeed everyone was there. The whole village was celebrating, but perhaps for other reasons. It couldn't be possible that all of them knew what kind of hunters were to come. Unfortunately for her, she couldn't find the one she was looking for. Kol had to be somewhere around, perhaps talking to his brothers or Kyle and Ethan.

Wait... Ethan?

She saw him standing near the huge bonfire, laughing and talking with a couple of men around his age. Davina bit her under lip, hesitating to take her eyes off him. She couldn't leave without saying goodbye to him. Unlike Kol, it wasn't like she would see him ever again. She met a part of him and that's all. She did not know what happened to him afterwards, when he died or what he did. But for her, Ethan had managed to earn a special place in her heart, he had become someone that she could call a friend.

With these thoughts, she started pacing toward him, filled with courage and bitterness. Ethan took notice of her approach, smiled widely and walked away from the group as he waited for the girl to come. "Looking gorgeous as always, lovely Davina." he said to the breathless girl in front of him.

She chuckled, "I hope I did not bother you. I saw you talking to the other guys and-"

"Oh no, anywhere with you is better." he cut her off but soon, narrowed his eyebrows. "Are you okay, though? You look very sceptical tonight."

Why did everyone keep asking that?

"I'm just not used to this kind of celebrations," she grinned. "But you on the other hand.."

He scoffed cockily. "Oh yeah, I'm all about that." his smile softened. "It's too bad that I won't see you tomorrow though."

She arched her eyebrows, slightly worried. "What do you mean?"

"I'm leaving. For a while, I'll be away." he stated with a sigh. "But Kyle can keep you company. I'm sure you would both love that."

She chuckled. But it quickly faded away. She suddenly had a serious look on her face, making Ethan wonder what was troubling her that evening. The brunette raised her head to look at him again. The edges of her lips curved up, creating a pure smile. "You're a great guy, Ethan. And you deserve the best in life."

He arched an eyebrow with a grin. "Ookay, why so serious all of a sudden?"

"I just wanted to say that. Because, like you said, you're leaving. And that was something similar to a 'take care' or 'good luck'." she responded.

"Well, you can tell me that when I come back. So it will sound less like a goodbye." he said with a sarcastic tone, but deep down, he could spot the bitterness in her words. Deep down, he had realised the actual meaning behind that warm smile of hers. Or perhaps, deep down, he knew Davina Claire would be gone by the time he returned.

The girl smiled, a soft, trembling upward curve of mouth, "Yeah, I'll do that." she muttered.

Ethan tilted his head to the side, a heavy, almost shaky breath being released from his lungs. "Oh come here, you little stubborn female," he snickered and pulled her into a hug.

Ethan had to bent down a little to reach her. Davina though just placed her chin on his shoulder, soon wrapping her slim feminine arms around his torso. She knew the villagers would criticised her, hugging a guy in front of everyone, but why should she care? She knew Ethan was her friend and that was just enough for her. Besides, she never really cared about what the others would think of her.

"Have you talked to Kol yet?" he asked once they broke apart.

She shook her head. "No. I haven't found him."