✴Chapter 22: Break The Ice

“Come on love, need any help?” Kol had stretched out his hand, offering help to the troubled-mind witch.

The girl wiped the pile of snow off of that heavy dress she was wearing, taking Kol's hand swiftly. “Thanks.” she smiled. Then she turned to the rest of the group, “Is the river far from where we are now?”

Kol shook his head. “I don't think so. We're almost there.”

Early in the morning, from the minute the first rays of sun illuminated the moonlit sky, the group had gathered up and moved on with their journey. But in those early morning hours, the temperature dropped and you could spot the delicate snowflakes being ripped off from the hazy clouds and drifting down to land. As a result, the movement in the snow was harder and a much slower process, not to mention tiresome.

The little witch looked up at the sky, snowflakes landing on her face. “Does it ever stop snowing here?” she breathed heavily under her breath, burying her pale face in the scarf she had wrapped around her neck.

Thick flakes swirled and stung Kyle's eyes. “I bloody hate this weather.”

Ethan, on the other hand, smiled and held out his tongue, trying to catch a snowflake on it. “Really? I freaking love this. And I certainly prefer snowing to raining.”

Kol shrugged his shoulders, wiping a thin layer of snow off them. Davina spoke in a husky voice that clicked slightly from a dry mouth. “It is so cold though.”

He didn't speak for a while, and when he did, his voice was somewhat hoarse. His gaze fell upon the trembling girl, his eyes narrowing in astonishment. “You are cold? Wait, bloody hell, you're trembling,” he exclaimed and wearily trudged through the thick snow.

Davina shook her head. No, she wouldn't show any kind of weakness. But, as much as she hated to admit it, even to herself, regardless of the many layers of clothing she had been wearing, she was terribly and undeniably freezing. How could they even live under these conditions? This low temperature was the worst!

Unconsciously, her teeth chattered with the cold. It was almost painful to breathe in the fresh air as it made her throat dry and drought. To hide the fact though that she had been quivering, she shook frantically her head. “I'm managing.” she exhaled heavily.

Kol didn't stop though. He was still trying to approach the pale girl, when suddenly Ethan called their names. He was standing ahead of them with Kyle leading the way, his body turned to glance at them. “Hey, you okay back there?”

Davina nodded hastily and yelled back. “Yeah we're fine!” then she turned her attention to Kol, “Really, Kol, you don't have to-”

But before she could even finish her sentence, she found the young man standing right before her, his striking brown eyes sparkling with boyish mischief. With swift moves, he wrapped the heavy coat he was wearing around her, rubbing his hands on the sides of her shoulders. “Better now?”

Much better. Davina just shrugged her shoulders and looked away. “Just a bit. But won't you be cold now?”

He chuckled, “Not really. Besides, you're our one and only girl. You deserve the best kind of treatment, yeah?”

She laughed lightly. “I guess.”

“Hey! Will you two lovebirds come or will we freeze our butts out here waiting for ya?” yelled Ethan, a big frown on his pale face.

Davina cleared her throat, sent a quick glance at Kol and walked past him hastily. Once Davina had disappeared from his eyesight though, the Mikealson smiled broadly; she was flattered. Even though she wasn't the type of person to admit that, Kol could tell just by looking at her face. Finally, the little witch showed some kind of emotion. He just had to break the shell surrounding her in order to reveal her warm and pleasant personality.