✴Chapter 18: Closer

Oh hell no.

“What? No no Kol let me-”

Kol bursted into laughter, as if he had heard the most hilarious joke in his life. He was laughing so hard, that tears began welling up in the corner of his eyes but quickly he wiped them away. “I knew it! I knew you were something more! Well, actually I was most doubtful about it at first but then again...” he added, now a genuine smile plastered on his lips.

Um... what the hell was going on?

Davina must have looked dumbfounded at that moment. He... he had suspected her? The thought of her being a witch had crossed his mind? When? How? Was it because her knowledge of the supernatural? No, that could not be right. She had talked about werewolves too. Did he also think she was one? Should she not have said about the cave and them at him? Crap! How... How did he...

Wait.

That night. That night after the dinner, when the two of them were left alone. He tried to take a hold of her hand. So, he had already thought of the possibility of her as a witch? What did exactly give her away though? What made him think that?

Ugh, her head would explode. Kol wasn't supposed to find out about her. That was part of her plan but... on the other hand, she couldn't hide it for too long. One day he would figure out on his own. Kol is no idiot after all. The fact that he had always been suspicious of everyone around him, gave him a head start this time.

“... Now it all makes sense. What Fin was talking about all this time.” he murmured to himself, an expression of frustration replacing the previous one.

“What? Fin? What do you mean?” she asked impatiently.

“Well, I'm sure you noticed Fin's odd behaviour towards you. Or towards everyone, to be more specific. Ever since you came, he has been making assumptions about you being a witch. At first, I did not believe him. But, he somehow managed to implant in my heads doubts and... I even tried to test you that night. By telling you about a non-existent injure on your hand. I bet you know that whether witches touch or come in contact with one of their own while the other person's guard is off and they're filled with emotions, it is quite easy to tell by the aura what they are. A witch, a werewolf etc.”

Unwillingly, she gulped. Fin. Fin had found out about her how? How was that even possible? He hadn't even met her yet!

“Now, I was able to figure it out because I touched your shoulder. You seemed emotionally vulnerable that moment and that's when I felt your spiritual energy. It was strong. But yet, it was different than those of other witches I have met so far. As if it didn't belong here.” he chuckled, running his fingers through his hair. “I knew you were special in your own kind of way.”

“Yeah...” she breathed, turning her eyes away from him. She could not face him that moment. She felt exposed and that everyone could reveal her secrets at anytime. She thought she was strong enough to do this, but in a moment of weakness like that Kol found her weak spot and stroke.

Kol narrowed his eyes. “What's that look, love? You seem disappointed.”

She immediately shook her head. “Oh no no it's not that..”

If possible, Kol narrowed his eyes even more. He was upset. Not in a bad way, but as if someone had offended him. “No, it is that. You are annoyed because I found out, yeah?”

Her eyes widened. Was he a mind reader or something? She opened her mouth to explain, to lie, to tell him that he was wrong, but it was futile. No words left her mouth, her brain refusing to spit another lie. Or, maybe she didn't want to hide it anymore?

“Davina hey,” Kol called her name, placing his both hands on her shoulders. “You can trust me. I am not going to tell anyone in the village. Besides, you can't believe how relieved I am to learn you're just like me.”

Davina flinched. Her body tensed as soon as Kol touched her again, his palms on her shoulders sending shivers down her spine. Heck, she was so dazzled that she couldn't even look away from his eyes. This silence between them, which in any other case it would be awfully awkward, it was serene. Davina, felt serene. And unwillingly, she caught herself staring at Kol without even bothering batting her eyelashes. Kol was smirking, the smirk she hadn't seen for a while now. What is this? What was this small tickle in the pit of her stomach? Oh who cared anyway. It was probably nothing. Yeah, nothing at all.

Nevertheless, yes, that second, that minute, Davina Claire felt like she could indeed trust him. That this boy right in front of her, wasn't a deceiver, an hypocrite, a liar, but the most honest and trustworthy person in the world.

While Kol , on the other hand, was in a very different situation.

Kol had been captivated by her eyes. Her leaf green eyes mixed with the ocean blue colour. Yeah, but it wasn't only her eyes. It was her everything. Her face, her appearance, her small smile, her spirit, her mysteriousness. What a dashing woman Davina Claire was. So different from any other girl, so mature and serious but yet elegant and smart when needed. In their little silent moment of staring, Kol Mikealson had realised he wasn't just "fond of her". He had fallen in love with that little lady. With that strange woman he barely knew.

“Do you trust me, little witch?” he whispered, his words travelling through the forest together with the breeze.

Wow. She never thought she would have hesitated to answer such an easy question.

And that nickname. Oh boy.

Before, the answer would of course be a "no", but, to her surprise she could not bring herself say that. As a matter of fact, she didn't want to say that.

Davina puffed her cheeks as she inhaled deeply, holding back her breath for a brief second. God why was her heart feeling so guilty? Why did it feel so heavy, so sorrowful?

His eyes were persistent, they were seeking in hers for an answer. Kol wanted her to trust him more than anything. But why was she so hesitant about it? He could not understand.

She exhaled. Lifting her head up, she simply said “I do.”

Her answer satisfied him, lifting a weight off of his chest. He smiled, pulling his hands away. “Good, I promise you won't regret it.”

Davina smiled back with a nod. Why couldn't you be like that in the present too, Kol Mikealson?

You better not break that promise,” she teased him with a giggle.

“Well, let's head back for now. I think we had enough of this temple and I am sure this is not the right place to bring a girl for the first time.”

“Except if that girl is a witch and loves creepy stuff.” she laughed.

Kol chuckled, shaking his head. “I like that side of yours, Davina Claire. Keep it. It really suits you.” he said and turned around, heading back to the cave.

Davina stood still for a moment, her eyes locked on Kol's back while he was walking away. She smiled, genuinely. Then, she took the way back to the cave too.

What an eventful day.