✴Chapter 35: The Guests

Davina found herself sitting on a bench of a park once she opened again her eyes. What on earth?  How did she get here? And... where was here? Because she definitely did not recognise the place she was. It seemed like a small quiet town, a few pedestrians and a couple of kids running around with their parents watching over them.

This was not New Orleans. That was the only thing she knew for fact.

"Nice place isn't it?"

She turned her head to her left in disbelief. She knew that voice. And she certainly knew that woman in the blue coat sitting right next to her. Davina did not answer, perhaps because she was more busy thinking about the dozens of questions swimming around her mind that moment.

Like, how was it possible to see Esther, a witch who was supposed to be dead, stand before her alive and well?

"Oh my, you seem so confused," the woman smiled, her short blond hair swaying in the breeze, "But first, you don't have to worry. I did not bring you here to cause any harm."

"Why are you here? And where are we? And... how do you know me? We just met in a-"

"- Memory? Oh yes, I am aware." she instantly replied. "But this is not real. This is all happening in your head."

Davina furrowed her eyebrows. "Let me guess. The black onyx?"

"Oh yes, wonderful magic, isn't it? I implanted one part of me in that little necklace I gave you, just so I could meet you again."

"Why? Why did you want to meet me?"

Esther stood up, shoving her hands in her pockets. It was cold there. Why would Esther choose for them to be in a park, in winter? Couldn't be summer, a warm sunny day?

... But what was she thinking? This was the least weird thing in all this. Kol's mother had just knocked Davina's body out with her enchanted necklace, forced her to meet into a fiction world inside her head, just so they could talk? What was the point of going this far?

"Do you want to walk with me, Davina? We'll be stuck here for a while until the spell wears off anyway, so we could discuss a few things if you want."

... It's not like she was giving her choice. And it would be best not to go against the elder witch.

With a sigh, Davina stood up too and started walking next to the Mikealson mother. There was silence for a few minutes between them, well, until Esther spoke again.

"I knew you were special when I first met you."

The brunette glanced at her with the corner of her eye. She did not answer back.

"Not as a witch only, but as a person too. I saw that in my child's eyes whenever he looked at you."

Davina's eyes lit up. "Kol?"

Esther smiled at the girl's reaction. "He was always so hard to understand. Even for me, sometimes. He became even more complicated when he turned into... a monster."

Davina was about to ask her something but the mother cut her off again. "I know everything, Davina. This is not the me talking from one thousand years ago, but Esther in general."

A father with his child walked past them. The kid was holding a bar of chocolate in one hand, trying to keep up with his smiling dad. Across the road was a family of four people, the parents and their two daughters. They were all staring at a shop's window, holding a couple of bags in their hands. So this is Esther's utopia? Mothers and fathers, families and children everywhere?