✴Chapter 13: Bluff

The flames danced aimlessly together, their bright light and warmth burning Davina's eyes. She could feel the heat stroking her face's skin, yet she could not stop staring at those flames.

Currently she was sitting in the room with the fireplace and the long table as she had curled up next to the fire with Rebekah sitting on the opposite side. They had been warming themselves up for an hour once they were done taking care of the girl's wounds, quietly staring at the source of warmth. And that was not because of the awkwardness, that wasn't the deal at all. It just both girls were lost in their own sea of thoughts.

For Davina though, living under the enemy's roof was a real challenge. Not only she had to find out more about them and their background, especially Kol's, but she had to play the role of the lost and innocent girl absolutely perfect. And what if she got discovered? What if Esther figured out something very odd was going on here? Because frankly speaking, Mikealsons were no idiots. They were cunning and deceptive. It was hard to outsmart them when it came down to tricking people, but the little witch knew that already. All she had to do was-

"Mother, sister we're back!"

Already on her feet, Davina span around alarmed and on guard. The voice was quite familiar, awfully disturbing and very, very despised by her. She had heard every tone it could reach, the way it deepened when it faced a foe, the way it softened when it was addressed to the other siblings; Her anger was boiling within her as she was assailed by familiar feelings of disgust. Her fingers curled into balls, being pressed against the sides of her body. It was obvious how much she had been trying to keep calm, especially when she came face to face with him. Klaus Mikealson.

"Nik, Elijah. You're back." breathed Rebekah as she stood on her feet too, slower than the younger girl did. "Where is Kol?"

"Riight here Bex." Kol popped from behind his two brothers, giving a toothy smile at his sister.

Elijah paused, studying Davina's figure suspiciously. " Good evening. You must be Davina, right? I am Elijah but, you may have already heard that."

"Oh the girl you told us about Kol," grinned cockily Klaus, "Hello love. I'm Niklaus, Kol's brother."

Stay still Davina...remember, stick to the plan, stick to the plan. Or everything would go to waste.

That thought seemed to trigger her, her tensed muscles relaxing once she regained her composure. Then, she straightened her back, wore her best smile and nodded warmly. "Nice to meet you two."

"What a well-mannered girl. How could someone like you be wandering in the woods? You see, Kol informed us about..."

Davina kept nodding her head, not really paying attention to what Elijah was blubbering on. Kol certainly did speak a lot about her, didn't he? She had narrowed threateningly her eyes at him but only for a brief second before anyone could notice the look of hatred plastered on her face.

"Elijah I think Davina is not in a need to be reminded of her incident." cleared his throat Klaus, cutting off Elijah's monologue. His attention was focused again on Rebekah who had been silently watching at them talking. "Rebekah, where is mother anyway?"

"Right here my children." Esther's voice echoed in the room as she slowly made her appearance, "I just wanted to let you meet our guest." her eyes scanned everyone's face carefully. After a brief moment, she spoke up again. "Then since we are all here, shall we have dinner? I suppose you three must be hungry; after all, you've done such a great job while your father's away."