✴Chapter 17: Behind A Closed Wall

Humid. So so much humid in that place.

How can you be sure where we are going? I mean, it's pitch black in here.” she breathed, releasing a sigh.

Kol was walking right next to her, guiding them through the darkness. “Davina, do you even stop worrying about things?” he teased her, “It's not the first time I come here. I know the way. And... here, turn right.”

She remained stiff for a moment but eventually did as she was instructed to do. Turning her body 90 degrees, her hands stretched out and were settled on the rough surface of a wall. Huh? How could he navigate himself through the darkness and spot an invisible wall?

“Have you come in contact with the wall?”

With a steady voice, she spoke. “Yes.”

“Good. Now push it.”

“... You want me to push a wall? Who am I, Hulk?”

Kol must have looked so puzzled that moment.

“What is that?” he wrinkled his nose.

“Never mind.” she simply murmured under her breath, turning her attention to the... wall.

With the little physical strength she possessed, Davina pushed the hard rocky wall and to her surprise, it didn't resist much. As a matter of fact, the so-called wall was more like a half-opened door, creaking and easily revealing the secrets of the other side. However, as soon as it was out of the way, bright rays of sunlight slipped through the cracks, blinding Davina temporarily. The source of light instantly illuminated the depths of the dark cave she had grown to despise, their warmth stroking the rough surface of the other walls too.

Ah, it felt like she hadn't felt that warmth for years.

“Cool isn't it?” Kol said from beside her, giving a small wink. “And out there, there is more than meets the eye.”

Davina's eyes darted around, hesitantly and carefully following Kol soon after. He leapt lightly to the ground and led them through a pine forest to a small glade as her eyes sucked in every and each detail of her surroundings. Unlike the forest they had been before, where only snow and chill existed, this woodland was welcoming and warm, the sunlight there becoming brighter and stronger. How peculiar. It was like they had teleported to another world.

And now, before them, was an ancient temple.

“What the..” she breathed, staring in awe at the magnificence of it.

In spite of the fact the temple seemed to be very old, it was well-preserved. The four tall pillars surrounding the sanctuary were carved with symbols and runes, none of which made sense to Davina. Nevertheless, parts of the marble columns had been brutally ripped off, as if someone had attempted to destroy the temple. Which they half-succeeded to do actually.

“Breathtaking, isn't it?” Kol spoke up, standing right beside her as they both were staring at the monument. “No matter how many time I visit this place, its beauty still dazzles me.”

She furrowed her brows, a small smile forming on her lips against her will. “But, what is this place? And why is it hidden?”

Kol turned his head to the side, his gaze falling upon her. “You're one of the lucky people who gets to know about this. You see, this is where witches used to do rituals and sacrifices. The cave we were before, I told you it was tricky. And that's why this cave is-”