Chapter 10: Lone Wolf

So here he was, sitting at the park like a goddamn tourist.

He drove to Seattle eight days ago to see Jared and stayed there for about 3 days before continuing the drive to Portland.

Jacob stared into the space for a couple minutes, before slamming himself back into reality.

He shook the coke can in a circular motion, stirring the liquid inside as he looked around him. Tilting his head backwards, he finished the drink in one quick motion.

Jacob stood up to his full height and walked to the nearest bin.

He continued walking around the park and stopped at a bench to take a sit.

Just before he wanted to take out his phone, a ball came flying near his head, landing among the bushes behind him.

A boy came up to him and smiled apologetically. Jacob stood up and knelt in front of the boy.

"Hey, is that ball yours?" Jacob asked with a smile on his face.

"Yes?" The boy said, sounding like a question rather than a statement.

"I'll get it for you," Jacob smiled as he patted the boy's head gently.

Walking to the bushes, he slid his hand into the thick well-trimmed plants and reached out to the red rubber ball.

"Shit," he whispered harshly to himself as his hand scratched onto a sharp thing which he assumed to be thorns.

"Here," Jacob smiled to the young boy and gave the toy back to its owner.

"What happened to your hands?" the young boy asked in guilt.

"Nah, it's nothing," Jacob assured.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. He's my brother," a woman in her mid 20s apologized as she reached for her brother's hand.

"No, I just helped him getting his favorite ball back," Jacob smiled, touching the boy's cheek with his index finger.

"Your hand," the woman said in shock.

"No, I'm fine, really," Jacob said, lifting up both of his hand to his stomach level, refusing any offer from her.

Why am I not healing? Jacob thought, frowning a little.

"It's not. I can tell that it is deep enough, you'll need stitches," she said, reaching for Jacob's injured hand to take a look.

Feeling her touch, Jacob quickly retrieved his hand back.

"Please, let me put something on that cut. At least," she said.

Jacob looked to his hand and waited for it to heal but nothing ever happened. He nodded and walked with the woman back to her picnic spot.

She sat on the cotton mat casually and looked up to see Jacob who was still standing.

Smiling, she patted the space beside her. "I don't bite," she joked.

Hesitantly, he sat beside her, keeping some space between them.

She reached for his manly hand and washed it with water to clean it. She grabbed a clean towel from the basket and dried his hand, before sticking a plaster to the cut.

"I bring this all the time with me," she snickered.

"Glad you do," Jacob replied, smiling at the comment.

"I'm Willa. Willa Tanner," she introduced, sticking out her hand for a shake.

"Jacob Black," Jacob smiled, clasping his hand with Willa's.

Jacob was still hesitant about making friend with other women other than Renesmee's friends or the ladies from the tribe but Willa had a different view for Jacob.

By the time their hands touched, a spark ignited from inside her, resulting a flame throughout her body.

"You can call me Ella. If you want," she snickered.

"Well, Ella. You can call me Jake if you want," Jacob smirked.

A sudden realization came across his mind. Nobody other than Renesmee, the Cullens and the pack had called him Jake.

Allowing strangers to call him Jake was somehow intruding into his private life, guess he was too late. He didn't even know how he had it escaped from his mouth.

"So, Jake. Are you seeing someone?" Willa said, scooting nearer to Jacob, handing him an apple.

Jacob took the apple and munched into it almost immediately.

When was the last time he ate actually? Yep. 20 minutes ago.

"I'm a married man," Jacob said like it was nothing, receiving a loud laugh from Willa.

"What's funny?" he asked in confusion.

"You're funny and in case if you wondered that I believed you, no. I don't believe you're married," Willa laughed.

"What makes you say that?" Jacob asked again. This time Willa's shoulder was touching Jacob's, but he didn't bother to push her away or to move away.

"You don't wear any ring. And you're out here alone. One more, you certainly look young," Willa said, satisfied with her own analysis on Jacob.

Jacob looked down to his finger and moved it, feeling awkward to not feel anything on it after wearing it for so long.

He left it at home. The ring.

"Yeah, about that," Jacob said, finally feeling uncomfortable as he stood up.

Willa stood up as well. She was tall, Jacob couldn't lie.

Her head reached his nose level compared to Renesmee. Renesmee was small as she only leveled to his chest.

He could feel a sudden tug on his chest as he thought of Renesmee. Shaking his head, he shooed it away.

"What's wrong?" Willa smiled, walking closer to Jacob.

Jacob watched her and took a step back. "I should go, now," Jacob stuttered.

"Sure. But uh, can I get your number?" Willa asked.

"Um, yeah," Jacob said shortly as he gave out his number to Willa. She dialed his number and looked at Jacob with a sweet smile.

Jacob took out his phone from his sweatpants pocket and looked at the screen as the call was off.

"Now you have my number," Willa said happily.

Jacob smiled to Willa and looked back onto the screen.

3 text messages from Rachel, 1 call from Seth, 7 calls from Leah and 9 calls from Baby, from the last 2 days.

"Why are you looking at the lockscreen for too long?" Willa asked.

"No, I'm just . . . I mean, nice numbers you got there," Jacob said nicely to her, covering his thoughts though his excuse was as crappy as shit.

She laughed.

"I better get going," Jacob said. "It's nice to meet you, by the way," he continued before stepping back.

"Me too. See you soon, Jake," she smiled, waving her hand a little.

Jacob smiled back and turned his back to Willa and walked away, frowning as he remembered her calling him Jake.