Chapter 18: The touch

"Jake, you need to get off her." Carlisle spoke.

"You can't leave me, baby." He growled, his fingers were white against her shoulder, pressing his body tight against hers.

"Jacob, you need to step aside! You're hurting her!" Carlisle yelled urgently, eyeing Jacob and the monitor back to forth.

His hands were now grabbing both of Jacob's shoulder and pulled him hard.

Jacob growled as he trashed. He put his hands on her cheeks and spoke ever so gently, hopefully she would hear him.

"Renesmee, please. I'm sorry I left you, I'm sorry I wasn't there when you asked for me. I've seen our child, he's beautiful. He's beautiful. Thank you, love. Now wake up, I miss you. Come on."

And that was when a straight line appeared on the screen, showing a sign which everyone was dreading for.

"No. No, no, no. No!" Jacob yelled against the pillow beside her head, pushing the headboard hard, before hitting his head against it hard.

"Bring the venom. Edward's" Carlisle spoke urgently. "I'm asking for your permission to turn her fully, Jake."

"Do whatever you do. I want her back," he cried out. "Please."

His eyes were on Ness. Never a second he looked away. His tears streamed down freely, had no intent to wipe it away, he was too preoccupied. He was there, right behind Carlisle as he watched the senior injected his wife with the venom.

"Is there anything I could do?" Jake asked frantically. He was losing his mind, all of this waiting is torturing him. He didn't care if Renesmee would be a whole new born, he just wanted to see her again, to hear her voice again. He never felt so stupid up until this moment.

"Yes, I would appreciate so much if you calm yourself down. Don't get yourself too worked up," he said, fast and sharp as his steady hands continued doing their magic.

The process was done after thirty minutes that felt like a whole damn year. Renesmee was still the same, looked the same, lying there weakly, too weak looking.

Jacob mirrored her, walking weakly as he pulled a chair next to her, as the other hand held their baby.

"Honey, hi. It's me. I'm here, I'm finally here. I'm sorry for what I've done, for not taking care of you when you're pregnant with my child, for cheating behind you. I swore to God, baby, I never meant to hurt you," he paused, stiffling back his tears.

"I love you, Ness. With all my heart. Whole of it. The feeling is getting stronger, now that our baby is here," he continued and paused again, looking down to his arms, to see their baby getting comfortable in his warm chest.

"He's beautiful. He has your eyes and your hair, for sure," Jacob smiled, still, it was a sad one.

"Thank you, for taking a good care of our child. Thank you, for being so strong when I wasn't there for you. There's so much I want to thank you for, please wake up."

The squeaking sound of the door being open didn't even budge him, instead, he continued talking to Renesmee, hopefully she would hear him and open her eyes.

"Jake, you okay?" Esme came to me, rubbing the back of my shoulder softly. I just nodded. "How's the baby?" She asked.

"He's getting comfy over here. He must've liked the heat, just like how his mom loved it. I miss her," Jacob smiled slightly.

"The venom should've kicked in by now," her voice was heavy with worry.

"What happened to Bella and Edward?" He asked, his voice was low and weak.

"Some tracker. We thought nothing would've happened since Alice, too didn't see anything coming. It's not the Volturi, not someone we are familiar with. Still working on that part though," Esme spoke griefly.

"Where's Alice?"

"Alaska. Edward's death has a big impact on her. I guess she is not ready to come home yet until she figure this out. She loves her brother and fond of Bella too. I understand. She would be here tonight, to see Renesmee. She wasn't pleased when she heard about her."

"I'm so sorry I wasn't there," he whispered, not trusting his own voice.

"Neither of us could see what was coming ahead. It's already written, Jake. There's no use beating yourself up like this. Now, just focus on Renesmee and your child. They need you," Esme said as she pat Jacob's back gently.

"Thank you."

"No, thank you, - for coming back," she smiled.

*

It had been 2 weeks, and their kid was growing great. His growing phase are much slower than Renesmee's growth spurt, almost matching a normal human growth, only a slight faster.

Renesmee was getting better, she was gaining her weight back, and her hair was getting its volume back. He missed the amber hair, but he miss her more. She was getting better, but still, hadn't opened her eyes yet.

Jacob done all the things to her, washing her body, combing her hair, talking to her, all of that seemed to work. Her gift was opened, and uncontrolled, as Jacob would always saw blurry colours of blue and purple, sometimes hazy brown when he touched her hands. He slept with it once, the colours were calming to him.

He was combing her hair when a whimper got out of her mouth. She was completely stable now and her figure turned way better than Jacob had expected.

"Ness?" Jacob called, the comb he had been holding was long gone, as he grabbed the sides of her face into his wide palms.

"I'm here, baby. Open your eyes and you'll see," he smiled, encouraging Renesmee to wake from her deep slumber.

Slowly, her eyes flutter open, showing a bright red ring in both of them. Jacob was startled as he jerked his body back for a second before coming down to his wife once again.

"Hey," he said softly. He was trying so hard to not kiss her, but he needed Renesmee to familiarise herself to him.

I was bad enough that Renesmee started trashing around and got off the bed, tearing any wire from her body and crouched, almost ready to attack her own husband.

"Honey, it's me, Jacob. Baby, come on," Jacob pleaded, both of his hands were brought up in surrender position, as he tried to step nearer to her.

"Honey, it's me," he said, offering a hand towards Renesmee. Renesmee seemed sceptical as she slowly stood straight, and stepped nearer to him with great amount of caution.

Slowly and gently, Jacob sled his calloused hands to Renesmee's arms, and with that, her bright red eyes turned into that same mesmerising melted chocolate, the one she and Bella used to have. She was back.

"Carlisle?" Jacob said, getting confused.

"Her body temperature must have rejected the venom to completely consume her," Carlisle said calmly, as if he already knew about this. At least, a theoretical thought of him.

"Renesmee? Are you okay, dear?" Esme asked gently, also moving closer to her. Renesmee's eyes went back and forth towards Jacob and Esme. She wasn't showing any signs of confusion, just looking, as if she missed the people too, just didn't know how to react.

Jacob tightened his grip to her hands, immediately getting her attention.

"Hi, beautiful," he smiled crookedly, his eyes were walled with tears, waiting for them to break down the barrier. It did. And it broke her heart.

"I heard you," she whispered coursely to her husband. Jacob couldn't hold it anymore as he pulled her into an embrace and kissed her lips hard and long. It felt so good.

"I love you," he cried out.

But she didn't answer back. Renesmee was frozen in her position. The message was too obvious.