9: To the Clearing ✔️

MUSIC: (Sonic Generations) Rival Battle - Shadow (For True Story)

The Next Day

"Okay, guys, ready?" Tails asked, revving up the engine to his plane.

The yellow paintwork covered the body of the aircraft, followed by two well-built wings, each with two handles to hold on. There was one compartment with three seats, Tails sitting in one to control the plane. Amy jumped in beside him, watching the blue hero chat with Knuckles before they both jumped on the right wing and the echidna walked along to the third seat.

"Hey Jayde, are you sure about going on the wing?" the rose hedgehog asked, preparing to move. The grey female shook her head, pouncing up onto the left wing, the black and red hedgehog hopping alongside her.

"It's cool, besides, I like the rush of adrenalin!" Jayde smirked before standing up on the wing.

"That's the spirit!" Sonic called, putting a thumb up before looking towards the twin tailed fox, "Ready to go, bud?" The fox grinned, nodding towards the azure hedgehog, the plane beginning to move. Jayde positioned a foot back, holding her posture. The plane soon took off from the ground, the wind flying through the quills of the Mobians.

"Okay, we'll come to a stop by a clearing in the forest; some of the Shards should be around that area. Silver and Blaze are already there." Tails spoke, using the clutch to glide the plane over the trees.

Jayde stood on the plane's wing, a huge grin on her mouth as she stared at the view. She could see for miles. The olive fields, sapphire blue ocean, the Mobians below scuttling around the town. The ebony hedgehog watched the female, her eyes sparkling in the sunbeams. The wind brushed through his quills as he too watched the scene around him, happy to enjoy this moment with the energetic grey female beside him. He hadn't felt like this for a while.

"So, you think you'd leave without me, hm?" The gang turned and saw a white bat flying towards them, a small smirk on her muzzle.

"What are you doing here, Rouge?" the scarlet echidna muttered, turning his body to face her as she flew by the left wing of the aircraft.

"I came to help, seems as though you need it!" she chuckled, her wings flapping elegantly. Tails stared at the bat, contemplating whether or not they should accept her help or not, but his thoughts were promptly knocked aside by a loud laugh.

The grey hedgehog flinched, looking to find Dr Eggman in his eggcarrier a few meters above them, a broad grin on his mustached face, "Miss me?"

"How can we miss you? You never go away." Sonic groaned, placing a hand on his hip as he looked up that the fat man.

Eggman glared down at the group, "I want that Shard and the device that two tailed fox has!" he shouted before slamming his fist on the desk, "Slice Bot, attack!" A metal robot hovered beside them, a level head compressed into its round body. Its arm stretched out, causing Tails to draw back his plane, the hedgehogs kneeling to hold on to the wing of the plane.

"Watch it!" Knuckles shouted as the robot circled the plane.

"Oh great, another poorly designed robot to take care of." Sonic muttered, rolling into a spin dash before soaring off the wing, slicing through the robot. Rouge flew towards the blue blur, catching his hand as he fell.

"Well, look at that! Looks like you do need me after all." She grinned, dropping the cobalt hedgehog on the wing again.

"Thanks, Rouge."

"Never mind, I have more!" Eggman chuckled, two more Slice Bots appearing out of nowhere. Tails elevated his plane into the sky, away from the robots. One of their arms stretched out, slicing into the right wing. Jayde slipped, grabbing hold of the metal bars to prevent her from falling. Black smoke rose from the broken wing, making the plane twirl in circles.