16: Hit the Cage ✔️

MUSIC: (Sonic Generations) Rival Battle - Silver (OST Version)

Tails, Amy and Sonic continued through their chosen paths, destroying robots, bats and spiders in their way, "Eugh, remind me to never go into an ancient cave again." Amy muttered, flicking some web from her short, pink quills. The twin-tailed fox rolled his eyes at his hedgehog friend, continuing to follow his device. A light illuminated from his gadget, providing them sight in the dark cave.

"The way out should be close, the Shard is right out that door." Tails pointed ahead of him, not looking forward.

"Y-You want us to go through that!" Amy squealed. Tails frowned, looking up to see an army of robots blocking their exit. At the back was a larger robot, two large metallic fists in front of him. Tails gulped, but put on his game face. His wasn't going to stand on the sidelines again. He twisted his tails before the made his rise into the air, propelling like helicopter wings. He flew at the robots, using his tools to smash their heads into their round bodies, kicking and punching his way through. Amy grabbed her hammer and started to swing it in a circle around her, colliding with all the ancient tins cans that surrounded her. She was about to run at the larger one until Tails crashed into her, sending them both into a wall.

"Tails..." Amy groaned, gripping her head in pain.

"Sorry." He whispered hoarsely. They were suddenly captured, laser bars circling them.

The robot picked up their cage, Amy growling in protest, "Let us out of here, you goof!"

-------

Meanwhile, Sonic had just finished up another gigantic spider, shaking his quills to remove the web. He wiped his gloved together before jogging ahead. He stared up at the ancient writing on the wall, slowing his pace. Different pictures were carved into the stone, words in a language he didn't understand underneath. A carving that looked much like the Seven Shards were above all of it, making his eyes widen in wonder.

The blue hedgehog clicked his communicator, trying to connect with his two-tailed proclaimed brother, "Yo, Tails, you there?" Sonic got no response, a sigh leaving him. He focused the camera before capturing the writing and drawings on the stone before racing ahead.

"SONIC!"

The speedster's ears flicked, his shoes coming to a screeching halt, "Amy?" he called, trying to listen out for the pink hedgehog.

"Sonic! Help us!" That was definitely his crazy fangirl calling for him. He followed the pleas until he came to a large opening in the primordial cave, more markings and carvings on every wall. "Sonic! I knew you'd come for me."

Sonic looked to find his two best friends trapped in a cage, floating high in the air. His mouth dropped slightly, "Hey guys, how'd you get up there?"

"I wouldn't be here if you hadn't left us!" Amy growled her fists clenched around the now metal bars of the cage.

Tails looked down at the blue hedgehog, his sapphire eyes widening, "Sonic, look out!" The blue blur didn't have time to process what the twin tailed fox said until his body was crushed against a large fist, slamming against the rocks beside him.

"Ouch." Sonic muttered, dropping from the ditch he had created in the wall. He landed on his knees on the dirt below, shaking his head before looking up to face a gigantic robot, its head gleaming from the light of a Shard. He growled before spin dashing, zooming around the robot before slamming against his back. The mechanism was undamaged, firing a load of random bullets towards the blue speedster who ran around and dodged each one.

The twin-tailed fox was looking on his device, the pink hedgehog looking over his shoulder, "Sonic! There's a weak spot on his left side."  The blue hero's ear flicked, listening to Tails' shout.

Amy muttered a few inaudible words before her hammer appeared in her fist. Amy swung her mallet back, slamming it against the metal bars, an almighty crash erupting from the unbroken bars. The robot seemed fazed for a second and Sonic took this opportunity to spin dash its legs. The tin can roared before standing upright again, aiming another shower of bullets towards the hedgehog. Tails' sapphire eyes widened as he stared at the heaving girl in the cage with him. "Amy. Hit the cage again."

"It's no use, Tails. These bars are too strong." She huffed, leaning against them for support.

The twin-tailed fox shook his head, "Not for that reason. The sound seems to distract the robot and rattle through it. Sonic will be able to defeat it if you continue to make that noise!" The pink hedgehog's eyes widened as she looked down at her blue hero, he needs my help. Amy smirked before pulling her hammer back, the young fox covering his ears as the mallet crashed against the bars again, another loud noise that vibrated through the mechanism, causing it to freeze.

Sonic realised what Amy was doing, and used it as his advantage. For every hit against the steel cage, the blue blur was able to strike the robot with a spin dash before it completely collapsed, falling to the ground. The three held their breath, was it going to get back up? The robot was suddenly invaded by a bright light before it vanished completely, only the crystal and elder guardian they had seen before was in its place.

"You have proven yourself worthy of the Shard.  You've shown courage, intelligence and power, congratulations." He spoke, presenting Sonic with the Orange Shard before disappearing in a puff of smoke.

The cage opened from the rocky ceiling, the pink hedgehog and twin-tailed fox dropping down. Tails grabbed Amy's hand, stopping her from landing on her head and placing her feet on the ground.

"That was awesome!" Sonic grinned at the two.

Amy glared, pointing her mallet at her blue hero. "You owe me a date."

Sonic seemed to jump back about ten feet, "What! Why?"

The rose hedgehog placed her hands on her hips, her Piko Piko hammer disappearing, "You almost had me killed!"

"Chill Ames, I had it sorted, I got you out." Sonic spoke to her, raising his gloved hands in surrender.

Tails intervened, "Technically speaking, Amy saved us. You wouldn't have defeated that robot is she hadn't used her hammer against the bars." Amy grinned in triumph, folding her arms.

The cobalt hedgehog sighed, placing a hand on his head, "Way to have faith in me, bro."