37: A Dark Shadow? ✔️

MUSIC: (Sonic Adventure 2) Supporting Me (feat. Everett Bradley) - Biolizard Boss Battle

Silver and Jayde walked side-by-side, the Ultimate Lifeform a few meters ahead. Shadow hadn't spoken a word since they left Eggman's base, and even though the female didn't expect him to, she at least thought he would have the decency to ask if she was okay. The grey hedgehog tugged at her inhibitor rings a bit, looking towards the telekinesis hedgehog beside her who was play around with a few sticks and stones with his ability.

"Silvs. What's up with Shades?" Jayde whispered.

The white male looked down at the hedgehog, sighing, "I think it's because you went into Eggman's base alone and unprotected."

"But that was my decision." She frowned, momentarily looking back at the dark hedgehog up front. She understood that the Ultimate Lifeform wanted to protect her, but he couldn't control everything she did.

Shadow's fists clenched as he walked, glaring at the trees in front of him and not taking any noticed of the two being behind him. He had let his guard down around that female, telling her how much she meant to him and how much he couldn't let her get hurt and she goes straight to Eggman's base. The dark male couldn't get too close to Jayde. Everything he loved about was quickly taken from him and he couldn't handle that anymore. If anyone else he cared about left him, he'd return to his past state and seek revenge on the planet he swore to protect. How much more was going to happen to him before he could finally be at peace?

Jayde's eyebrows creased and she jogged up beside the Ultimate Lifeform, trying to suss out his emotions. But his face and crimson orbs were blank, not showing an ounce of anything in them, "Shades?" Jayde called out to him, but he didn't respond. It was almost as if he was building his walls back up around him and locking her out like he had before and not letting anyone in, "Shadow." She spoke up, trying to gain his attention.

As they came to the clearing of Tails' workshop, Shadow still hadn't spoken to either of them, and it was irritating the grey hedgehog. His bottomless black orbs didn't even take a glance towards the female as he went to go into the workshop, "Shadow!" Jayde shouted, pushing his arm slightly. Silver grabbed the angry female, trying to stop her from making a big mistake, "Let me go, Silver." She growled, her form tensing at the contact. She didn't want to be stopped by anyone. This was between her and Shadow. And if he hated her now then fair enough, but she needed to speak to him.

Silver held on tighter, though her menacing voice had some effect on him, and his head twisted in confusion. Glancing at her inhibitor rings, they were slowly darkening, making fear rise in the telekinesis male. Jayde ripped herself from the pure white hedgehog's grip and ran at the Ultimate Lifeform, shoving him forward. Shadow froze; his whole body tensing and his eyes read anger as he stopped himself from falling straight on his face. The Sonic team in the workshop had heard to commotion and rushed outside to see what was going on, each of them freezing at the sight of Shadow as he glowered at them.

"Shadow. It was my decision to go into Eggman's base. It was me who went in to get that Shard, so don't blame the others for my mistake." Jayde snapped, standing directly behind the red-striped hedgehog.

Shadow spun around, staring at the seething female, "And what if he hurt you, or destroyed you."

Jayde laughed carelessly, spinning her body around. This cause Silver to flinch and his eyes connected with the hazel ones of the purple feline, she still had some Negative Chaotic energy within her, "Your faith in me, Shadow the Hedgehog, is incredible. You're acting like I can't handle myself!"

"That's what I saw when you were in that cage."

"I am not some damsel in distress, I don't need a Prince Charming to come save me every time I get stuck in a puny cage." The angry grey female hissed, clenching her fists as she glared at the Ultimate Lifeform in front of her, "And for your information, that cage had a control box under where I was standing. I could've easily broken into that and rewired it-"

"What, like you did to Eggman's robot when you were younger?" Shadow asked, anger still flowing through his body as he cut off the female.

Jayde flinched, "How do you know that?" Her fists clenched by her sides, no one knew that about her past yet. She bowed her head slightly, glaring up at him.

"The Doctor told me." Shadow hissed, "I also know that it was one of Dr Eggman's robots that killed your brother-"

"Shadow!" Rouge snapped, glaring at the Ultimate Lifeform. Even if the bat didn't know about Jayde's past, it was still inconsiderate of him to say it on such a way.

The dark hedgehog only seemed to calculate what he just said, and his eyes widened. If he hadn't already lost her, he just did, "Jayde, I-" but the hedgehog put her hand up to stop him. Shadow shrunk back, ashamed of himself.

The grey female stared at the ground, her fists clenched and her eyes shut tight. She could hear the murmurs of the Sonic team around her, but no one moved. She hated that everyone had to find out this way and it pained her the way he said it - as if it were her fault, and he didn't even know the whole story. But even Jayde knew that he didn't mean it. He was angry and upset. But she still couldn't believe that came from the Ultimate Lifeform, "The past is in the past." She spoke, not looking up, "And as much as I regret not being able to do enough to save him, I don't regret any moment I spent with him."

Shadow flinched, knowing that she wasn't just talking about her brother, but she was talking to him as well, "I miss him every day but that doesn't mean I shouldn't continue with my mission knowing that I could end up with the same fate." Jayde looked up, glancing at each of her team mates in turn, "I know this could kill me, but I don't regret ever having any of you as friends. You've all played an important role in the saving of this planet but it still isn't over yet. I'm not asking you to risk your life too, but I am asking for your help."

Everyone listened to the grey female. Nobody spoke a single word during her speech. Silver stepped forward first, placing a hand on Jayde's shoulder, "I came here to protect the future and learn how to defend the protectors of the future - I am with you." Blaze quickly joined, walking up front as well, nodding towards the female hedgehog.

The cobalt and rose hedgehog moved forward, both looking at Jayde, "I don't regret any of the time you've spent with you either. You have been a great friend and I would be honoured to fight beside you." Amy spoke, raising her hammer on her shoulder. The rest soon followed until all that was left was Shadow.

He didn't know if he could take another loss. He had to be there to protect her and save her but what if he couldn't? He'd be forever blaming himself for her death as he does Maria's. The hedgehog clenched his fists and his ear flicked as Jayde spoke some more, "I need your help, Shadow." She whispered, but it reached his ears and his head looked up. Even after he had said something that hurt her, Jayde's orbs were sincere and he knew she meant it. She needed their help in completing her mission and saving the planet - and she needed him.

Shadow stood straight and nodded towards her, "I will fight with and protect you, " he spoke, "...Renee."