21: The Beginning of the End ✔️

MUSIC: Malik Bash - Black Hole

A Few Hours Later

The sky was blood red; every tree in the forest had lost its leaves, completely bare. Everything was in a dark state, no animal made a noise, no Mobian left their house - each too afraid of what Mephiles had unleashed.

Sonic glared up at the dark being floating in the sky; Raven - the negative form of Jayde. Her inhibitor rings had gone out and no light was coming from them. Her angry, pale eyes stared down at the helpless blue hog, thinking about how pathetic these creatures were. The Hero of Mobius had already gained cuts and bruises from the once energetic female, and his body was weak. He never thought that an innocent hedgehog could be cursed with such a horrifying nightmare - and there was nothing no one could do about it. He also never thought about how much this fight could wear him out. He'd never been this tired in his life.

Amy Rose stood by the knocked out golden fox, protecting the young one as much as she could. He tried talking to Negative Jayde, he tried reasoning with her, but she laughed in his face, telling him how pitiable he was before a hard blow was aimed straight at his head. The female had dragged him under the trees, trying to hide him from the sight of the dark hog.

Negative Jayde swooped down again, aiming straight for the blue hedgehog who tried to stop her. His emerald eyes widened at her speed before her fists clashed with his muzzle, sending him flying back, smacking into the trunks of multiple trees behind him. One thing that had increased was Jayde's speed. She was now almost as fast as the blue blue himself.

"Sonic!" Amy cried, fire rising in her jade eyes. She knew that Jayde would never hurt her friends, but she needed to protect herself. She summoned her mallet, charging towards the dark being that floated just a metre above the ground.

"Don't do it, Amy!" Sonic yelled weakly in a desperate attempt to stop her from committing what she was about to do. But the dark hedgehog had already sensed her coming, and without hesitation, swung her hand back, grabbing hold of her neck. Amy's eyes widened in shock, dropping her hammer as she grasped Raven's fingers, trying to pry them from her once again.

Sonic gasped as Jayde rose higher into the sky, the pink female's feet dangling in the air. An evil laugh erupted from the dangerous hedgehog as she threw Amy away like trash. Sonic rushed towards the hammer swinging female, catching her just before she hit the ground. His weak steps led him to a passed out Tails, slouching beside his proclaimed brother. A bright light flickered before a black and red hedgehog appeared, staring up at the evil Jayde. She grinned down at the new opponent, her fists balling in the air. Shadow watched Jayde, a slight apprehension rising in the 'fearless' hedgehog. He was their last hope. If he did not succeed, he'd die knowing Jayde was trapped in her dark form, destroying everyone she loved for the pure pleasure of it. He would have truly failed her.

"Shadow," Sonic called, coughing slightly, "You have to use the Chaos Emeralds."

The Ultimate Lifeform shook his head, "I can't. I don't want to hurt her." Even if this wasn't Jayde, it was still her body - she was in there somewhere.

Sonic growled at his lookalike, "None of us do Shadow, but we need to protect ourselves. This isn't the kind, happy Jayde we all once knew." The black hedgehog's fists clenched, looking back towards the female who had been there for him since the start. He couldn't let her stay this way - but maybe the azure hedgehog was right. He glanced at Tails and Amy - if Jayde came back right now, she'd be ashamed of what she had done to her friends.

A light flickered before the seven Chaos Emeralds appeared, circling around the ebony hedgehog. He absorbed their power, clenching his fists. In the place of the Ultimate Lifeform stood Super Shadow, his fur a luminous gold colour. He glanced back up at the once grey hedgehog before shooting up towards her. Sonic watched him go, his black eye slowly dimming in pain as he held the unconscious pink hedgehog in his arms, subconsciously stroking her quills.

Negative Jayde watched this super form fly towards her, an eager smile on her face to be fighting a challenge. Though she knew good and well, she had already won. Laughing at how he believed he stood a chance against her, sapphire eyes watched as he faced her, "The Ultimate Lifeform," she chuckled, glaring at him through her piercing orbs, "Soon to become the Ultimate Failure." Shadow rose to her height, ignoring the hurtful words she threw at him, she didn't mean it, it's not Jayde, it's Raven.

"I don't want to fight you, Jayde." Shadow spoke, trying to get through to her without violence. Her inhibitor rings were pitch black, the only colour on those bands had the same striking colour of her orbs. Her pupils were black slits, much like that of a snake, watching his every move.

The dark being chuckled at him, twirling in the air. His wretched attempts, "Jayde's not here right now." She grinned at him with a sickening smirk.

"Where's Jayde? Where's Renee?" Shadow asked, clenching his fists. Something about the word 'Renee' angered the dark being, her body snapping to glare at the Ultimate Lifeform.

"There is no Renee! There is no light for you at the end of this!" she yelled. Shadow's eyes widened, she's becoming what I once was, "There is only darkness and the darkness is what I am creating!" Raven's hands lit up before a beam of negative chaotic energy few towards the golden hedgehog, knocking him off guard and sending him flying towards the ground below. The blow to his stomach caught him off guard, and the amount of force struck him backwards.

The battle had begun; Jayde versus Shadow. Light versus dark. And the two most unexpected people were fighting for the opposite sides.

Shadow growled, quickly composing himself before flinging a shower of chaos spears toward her. A few of the positive orbs hit her, a grunt leaving her lips as she charged up for another blast towards the hedgehog.

It didn't take long for the Ultimate Lifeform to realise that her weakness was the slowness. It took her time to charge up her energy - but her strength was her power, and if it hit him directly, he didn't know how much of it he'd be able to take. He was fighting against a force much powerful than himself, and even Shadow knew that his chances of surviving were slim. Negative Jayde blasted another beam towards him, laughing evilly.

"Chaos control!" Shadow yelled, disappearing. He reappeared behind her, slamming a foot into her back, sending her flying forwards at the unexpected attack. She spun around a bit before turning to glare at him, her face pure rage. Shadow merely smirked, able to show her some of his real power. Now maybe she'd take him seriously.

"Renee." Shadow tried calling out for her again, but got no response other than a sickening laugh that damaged the ears, "Jayde, you have to fight it. Wake up!" he shouted, now more desperate than ever, "You wouldn't want this, you have to stop!"

Raven chuckled, "You blind fool. It is too late. Jayde is gone. And now I can continue to create the hell I dreamed of where light does not exist!"

Shadow clenched his fists, he wouldn't believe it. He couldn't. He couldn't let himself believe he had failed to protect another he loved. He lost one; he cannot lose this one as well, "I don't believe you!" he yelled, firing another shower of positive chaotic energy towards the dark hedgehog.

Raven chuckled and fists powered up before they both threw spears and light beams towards one another, their fight being watched from the three below. Sonic flinched every time Shadow got struck because it wasn't one of her usual play punches she gave - it was her full power going into that one hit.

The two-tailed fox beside him had woken up and was staring at the horrifying scene in front of him, wishing he could do more. He grabbed his communicator, connecting with Knuckles, Blaze, Silver and Rouge on Angel Island, "G-Guys?"