33: We Fight ✔️

MUSIC: (Sonic Generations) Open Your Heart - Crush 40 vs. Circuit Freq Remix / Boss Battle: Perfect Chaos Part I

Eggman's Lair

The doctor glared at his computer screen and slammed his fists against the control panel, "I knew I recognized that grey quilled renegade from somewhere!"

Orbot and Cubot came either side of their creator, their circuits wiring around in confusion, "What are you talking about, doctor?" The circular henchman enquired.

"We've never seen her before, boss!" the yellow cube added. Eggman shook his head to the robots, shoving them away as he stood. His feet took him to the other side of the room, going through some files on the projected screen before clicking a few points.

"A while back, I had located a Chaos Emerald in an unnamed village a few miles from Mobius. I, being the great genius I am, went straight to it, robots and all. But that village had guards and powerful protectors because of the Elders that inhibited the area. One of those guards was that renegade's father! She happened to be there at that time and snuck around the back of my biggest robot and rewired it to help them defend the village." The doctor explained, crossing his arms, "How she got past my security is unknown to me, she was just a pipsqueak! Those blasted rodents."

Orbot looked puzzled, "So you're saying you've met her before?"

The doctor glanced at the younger hedgehog on screen, "I didn't necessarily speak to her face-to-face, but yes, I have seen her before."

"Really?" Cubot asked. Eggman simply rolled his eyes at his unpromising henchmen, placing a hand on his forehead.

"That renegade took over one of my most powerful mech's I can create, and now I can no longer control her Negative Form, she is useful to not only that blue rat's team, but GUN as well. It was clear that throughout her young age, her father had taught her a lot about defending herself and how to compute things. I must destroy her once and for all!" He chuckled before it turned into a full blow laugh.

"How is this going to work out any better than trying to destroy Sonic?" Cubot asked, scratching his metallic head. The doctor growled before rolling up a magazine and smacking it against the henchman's head. Cubot's head spun, dizzying the robot.

Eggman grinned, walking towards a small sealed box, containing the most power Shard possible. He placed a hand on the glass, an evil glint in his eyes, "She can't defeat everything."

The Next Day

"So, how are we going to defeat Eggman?" the rose hedgehog asked, the Sonic Team circling around the computer in Tails' workshop. Everyone had arrived just after the two sleeping hedgehogs had awoke, and to see the grey female on his lap, Shadow had quite a surprise.

Tails projected a large screen from his desktop, a slight frown on his face, "I've been tracking Dr Eggman's progress through his security systems - and it's not good news." The screen moved to show the two Shards in sealed containers, minimal power draining from them, "He's got two of the Seven Shards and is trying to power up all his robots with them - like he did Metal Sonic. There's no way we can stop him right now because it's almost complete."

"Then what can we do?" Blaze asked, the telekinesis hedgehog right behind her.

The twin-tailed fox sighed, his ears drooping slightly. He hated not knowing the solution to a problem. He was the guy everyone went to for answers and if he could not deliver - what was the point? Tails had worked on many difficult things but this was off the hook. He had always heard of something before it came straight at him, but he knew nothing of the Seven Shards. He didn't know of the power they had or the damage they could cause.

Jayde stepped forward, placing a hand on the young fox's shoulder, "We fight." Tails glanced up at the female hedgehog and nodded. The Protector pulled her Shard from her quills, "No matter what, we work together. If we fail, we'll fail together."

Everyone nodded, "We won't fail to Egghead - we never do." The blue hedgehog grinned, raising a thumb up. The Ultimate Lifeform huffed before turning and walking out the door.

"Shades?" Jayde called, following in confusion. Shadow stood under the trees, glancing into the forest. He crossed his arms, a frown on his face - he looked exactly as he did when the female just met him, angry and hostile. "What's wrong, Shadow?"

The dark hedgehog didn't respond to the female, he only glanced down at her orbs before looking away. If Eggman had the black Shard, it means he could hurt the female that's brought him happiness, the one who stood by him when no one else did. The Shard had more power than him or her combined and they wouldn't be enough to defeat whatever entities would come out of it. Shadow couldn't bear the thought of losing another he cared so much for. "The black Shard is more powerful than you realize." He muttered, his frown darkening, "It could kill you, Renee."

The grey hedgehog glanced to the side before looking back up at the red striped male beside her, "I know Shades, but if Eggman is going to release the enemies from the Shard... It's a risk I'll have to take."

The Ultimate Lifeform's whole body turned to face her in one swift movement, his eyes dark and scary and his whole form rigid, "And what if this time, I really can't save you?" he asked, stalking towards the female, "What if that robot hurts you, or the black Shard's power destroys you? What about me?"

Jayde tripped on a root and her back came in contact with a tree trunk behind her. The female's ears bent backwards, not only in sadness but anger as well. Shadow glared down at the female, but she stood strong, not showing an ounce of fear. Shadow was becoming what he once was. A soulless, emotionless being with no regards of others or anything around him - and Jayde hated it. She hated seeing him like this even if she had brought it on herself. But she was a Protector and it was in her veins to save and help this planet till her dying breath, no matter what.

"You're only one of the few I trust. What if Eggman takes that away from me? What will I do if something actually does happen to you this time and I can't be there?" he snarled as he stood in front of her, caging her body against the tree. Jayde didn't know what to say to the angry hedgehog in front of her. His orbs never strayed away from hers and his fists clenched by his sides, "I've already lost someone I care so much about," he growled, grabbing hold of her arms. Jayde didn't squirm or try and move out of his grip and allowed him to release his anger before speaking. She wasn't afraid of him. The male's head bowed, his fingers tightening his grip ever so slightly. The female could see he was weakening underneath it all; he just wouldn't let it show, "I can't lose you too, Renee."

Her fingerless gloves held onto Shadow's muzzle, lifting his head up to meet his eyes. A small smile rose on her face and her eyebrows creased before resting her head against his, "You won't lose me, Shades." She whispered, "I'll always come back to you."

"But-"

Jayde shushed the hapless hedgehog, stroking one of his quills, "I will not surrender. I won't give up until this planet is protected from the black Shard. It's my job." She nuzzled into his muzzle, just as he had when he saved her from the negative chaotic energy inside her, "I promise, I won't leave you."

Shadow knew that he couldn't say anything to stop her from taking the risk, but a small, invisible smile came across his muzzle - that's what he loved about her. Jayde would protect everyone she loved even if it meant her life. But he knew that not every promise can be kept. The Ultimate Lifeform stood taller before taking a Chaos Emerald from his quills.

"I need some time alone." He mumbled. Jayde nodded, watching as he disappeared before her, leaving her alone. The female sighed before walking back into the workshop, coming face-to-face with a full blown argument.