Chapter 17

Y/N's POV

I've always loved the way Mark looked at me. I love the way a smile tugs at the corner of his lips when I talk to him. Something about just who he was made me simply...
Happy.
Which is something I haven't felt very much in my life.

"You have a little ice cream right..." Mark said as he leaned forward and wiped the corner of my mouth with his thumb,"There."
"I was saving it for later." I joked,rolling my eyes playfully.
"Yeah,sure you were." He chuckled. There was a long silence,the background noise was the conversations of other families in the ice cream parlor and the occasional ringing of the bell above the entrance door.

Because of paranoia,I turned around to see who walk in. Nobody I recognized.
When I turned back saw Mark staring at me. My lips,to be more specific.
"What,is there something else on my face?" I ask,not necessarily jokingly but not serious either.
"Yeah,actually there is..." He paused and leaned in closer until his lips pressed against mine in a loving kiss.

When he pulled away I felt heat come to my cheeks and a tingling feeling on my lips. It's not like he's never kissed me before,but every time I feel the same spark. Butterflies. Fireworks. All the things cliché love stories describe it as. I could try to describe it myself,in detail but I can't.
It's a feeling that only Mark can give me,and that is indescribable.

"So you ready to go?" Mark chuckled,snapping me out of my trance. I blink a few times to regain my composure and nod.
We get up and walk out. With Chica,by the way. They allow dogs inside as long as you don't feel them ice cream.

The sun had gone down quite a bit and seemed to hover just above the horizon. Taunting me.
"So you wanna head down there now?" Mark asked as he grabbed my hand,intertwining our fingers yet again.
"Yeah,might as well." I reply,trying to hide the dread in my voice. This had been torturing me for so long,you'd think I'd be relieve,even excited,to be so close to ending it. But I wasn't. In fact,I'm even more afraid right now than I've been in a while. Fighting down a panic attack is no easy feat.

We walk for what feels like forever,going down the semi-familiar route through the park and then off the pleasant sidewalk and into the woods. Nobody was around to tell us not to go in there. Nobody around to stop my slow walk to my execution.
We were soon swallowed up by the trees and I could see the clearing in the distance. It was almost over. That is,if I could even gain the courage to tell him.

"Not a big deal. Not a big deal. Not a big deal." I repeat to myself over and over in my head. Chica tugged at the leash,making me lurch forward slightly. I'd like to believe she knew what was going on. I had told her over and over,rehearsing my speech for Mark.

We both silently sat down on the hill and looked up at the sky,which was beginning to turn orange and violet,as if the whole world had paused until we arrived to our destination. If there was any time to freak out,it would be now. But for some reason,I suddenly felt fine. I mean,the heaviness on my chest was still there,but I felt somewhat calm. Just sitting there with Chica laying beside me and Mark sitting on my other side,holding my hand and staring into the sky.

I sat there for what felt like centuries,having a debate in my mind of if I should tell him or not. The typical last minute doubts.
By the time I looked over at him,the stars were beginning to dot the sky. "Mark." I said after taking a deep breath.
"Yes?" He turns to me,smiling.

"I-I.... I love you. And I know I've told you that alot." I begin,only stuttering once,"But I do. You mean so much to mean. You've helped me through hell and I owe you my life for that. The night you asked me to be your girlfriend was the best night of my life. And saying yes was the best decision I've ever made. I've been putting this off for so long,and I'm so sorry,but..." I faded off a little as my eyes got watery with tears.
"Not now,Y/N," I told myself,"You're so close..."

"I'm pregnant." I say in what sounds like a whimper.
Mark's expression is unreadable. So many emotions flash through his eyes,which were still shining despite the dim light. The silence seemed to stick in the air like glue. My whole body was trembling slightly and I know it wasn't because of the cool night air.

"Y/N...." Mark says at last,his voice shaky,"A-are you serious?"
I nod. I felt like my worst nightmare was coming to life. He hated me. He must have. He knows how long I've hid this from him now and he would be crazy not to dump me right here,right now.

My thoughts didn't fit reality as a smile formed on Mark's face. No,not a smile. More like a grin.
"I love you!" He exclaimed,a tear rolling down his cheek as he pulled me into a tight hug. That's when a broke down. I was not sobbing because of sadness or fear. It was with joy. He loved me,and now I was sure that nothing in the world would stop him from loving me.

We sat there in each other's embrace until the light of the moon illuminated us. The weight off my chest was gone and in its place was a feeling of hope. A feeling of pure happiness.
I stood up and Mark joined me. "I think we should head home now." I laughed as I wipe my eyes,clearing away the tears.

"Wait." Mark says quickly. He takes my hand in his and gets down on one knee.