F O U R T E E N

Three weeks later, I was backstage with Awsten, Geoff, and Otto as they prepared to get on stage to set up their equipment. "Otto, where's my guitar?!" Awsten yelled, running around like an idiot. "I told you, it's under the biggest trunk behind the curtain!" Otto yelled back from an unknown location. People could probably hear them bickering like an old married couple, but that didn't stop them.

This was my second time watching the boys perform, and this time I was going to be in the crowd. Awsten had made me watch from the side of the stage the first time because he said he "didn't want me to break".

"Okay, okay, we have to go out and set up stuff now. You'll be in the audience?" he asked me, stopping in front of me as he held the neck of his guitar in one hand. "Mhm," I replied, stretching my legs so I could kiss him. He stared at me for a moment before kissing me quickly, grinning. I let him go and walked out the side of the stage, my eyes landing on all the people in the crowd. It was a small venue at a bar, but I still wondered how I would get to the front. Or maybe I could just stay in the back to watch.

After several "excuse me's" and "oh sorry's", I was two people behind barricade and squished so badly that I couldn't even move. It was getting hot and I hoped that once Waterparks started playing, there would be some air from everyone jumping around. I probably looked like a sweaty gross mess and I hoped Awsten wouldn't notice.

Lucy was supposed to arrive any minute, because she had wanted to see them perform and I promised I would take her to a show with me the next time I went.

As Awsten went on the stage, several loud screams erupted around me and I jumped in place, taken aback. Maybe it was because Awsten was just another person to me, not some famous musician in a band that I had never met before. He was just a stupid blueberry that liked building paper towel castles.

He smiled at the audience and made eye contact with me, his smile growing even more than I thought was possible.

My phone buzzed and I tore my gaze from him, glancing at the text message from Lucy.

Lucy: Where are you? Just got here and all I see are teenage girls

Me: Up front, two people behind barricade

Me: To the right a bit, you'll have to shove.

In less than two minutes, I felt the crowd being parted and lots of people yelling "OW!" and "HEY!" as I turned around to face Lucy, who somehow had gotten the entire crowd to clear away so she could get to me. "Hey there. You're right. Lots of teenage girls here. It's almost worse than work," Lucy muttered, taking off her bracelets and shoving them in her bag. I was getting really sweaty and I just wanted the set to start so I could get some air.

Around ten minutes later, the lights dimmed and piercing screams echoed off the walls of the venue. At this point I was slightly in a bad mood but at least I had Lucy there. She was strong and definitely wouldn't hesitate to shove anyone out of the way if it got bad.

Maybe Awsten was right about keeping me back stage.

As the set started, my mood instantly improved. He's hot on stage. His hair stuck to his forehead with sweat by the third song (which was gross but meant he was giving it his all). I focused on him, being shoved by all the jumping bodies and getting more and more excited as he neared their 6th song, the first song I heard by them.

"Alright, this next song is called Territory! But before I begin.." 

I pouted. I just wanted him to play it. "Alright alright, quiet down, let me talk. Before we begin, I'd like a special someone to come on stage." The crowd and I thought it was a random person. I was upset by this and my pout grew as he spoke, not liking the idea of him singing Territory to somebody else. The crowd's screams were deafening.

"Okay, shh, can my precious, silver-haired patronus please get on stage please?"

I looked around accusingly, trying to find whatever girl he was talking about. Lucy shoved my arm and I looked at her, confused. "He's talking about you, idiot!" she whispered harshly, pushing me forward. I started to weave my way to the barricade, shaking slightly. I hated being on stage. The crowd was screaming and a few were cussing, aimed at me. Though nobody knew who I was yet. I finally got to barricade and he reached his hand out to for me to grab. People reached for his hand before I could get to it. He humored the fans a bit before grabbing my hand and, almost violently, pulled me onto the stage next to him. I was obviously a mess, sweaty and gross from the crowd.

"Hello, everybody I'd like to introduce this human here. Her name is Charlotte. She's great. Don't hate her." The few people that were cussing before continued and Awsten glared at them, since it was such a small venue, it was obvious who it was.

"Okay Charlotte I have a song to play for you, then a question, just wait," he said, then began.

"Life is slow paced
Like the movies
With filtered mood swings
Oh wait, they're indie
We are not like that
We are not the same

I wear my game face
In your headspace
Where it's storming
At least most days
We are both like that
We are both the same

So tell me something
Anything but nothing

Do you wanna be my territory?
Baby, search and then destroy me
Keep me close and we won't get boring
Keep me close like your territory now

Life is slow paced
And I've been thinking
We lost a few years
In the quicksand
We are not like that
We are not the same

I think the answer
Is in the open
Keep me close like I was chosen
We are both like that
We are both the same

I'm gonna hunt you down
Cause I'm a handful
I'm gonna freak you out
But it's all substantial
So bring me bad news
Anything you have to
Just to keep me on my toes"

As stupid as this sounds, it felt like we were the only two people in the venue. Aside from Geoff and Otto because they never leave anyway. He was looking at me the whole time, singing the beautiful words he wrote directly to me. As he finished, I kissed his cheek and the crowd erupted, some boos, some cheers, some just incoherent screaming like what the fuck.

"Charlotte, my patronus, will you be my girlfriend?" He asked me, 

"Oh, I, um" I stammered. WE WEREN'T ALREADY DATING?

His face dropped slightly but he still looked hopeful. I forced myself to keep my eyes on him, even with the hushed whispers flooding across the venue. My hands were sweating and I couldn't remember the last time I had been so nervous. Why wasn't I saying anything?!

"No no no, I mean, yes of course I'll be your girlfriend, I just kinda, thought we were already together," I laughed, pecking his lips as his smile grew once again.

"Oh, yeah, I'm late I guess."