Chapter 3

I was curious to see how Blaze would do at the training practice tonight. I leaned against the wall while waiting for him to show up. As usual, I was early and it was exactly 7:50pm, ten minutes before Blaze had to show up. I impatiently glanced at the clock at the wall when I heard the door open.

"You came early." I pointed out, heading to the training room.

"Spies always come early." Blaze replied.

"You weren't as early as me." I countered.

"Yeah yeah, whatever." Blaze rolled his eyes and opened the training room door and holding it open. "Ladies first." He winked. I rolled my eyes but walked in anyways.

"That's our teacher, Slash." I whispered to Blaze as Slash walked over to me.

"He looks...inviting." Blaze whispered sarcastically. Slash didn't have the most friendly appearance, he had a slash across his left eye, hence the name, and tattoos all over his arms with a bald head.

"What are you doing just standing there? Go run five laps!" Slash yelled. With a start, I started running around the arena. All six of us, including Blaze and I immediately started running around the arena. There were two girls, Star and I, everyone else was a boy. I started out going slow at first but fast enough to stay in front when Blaze dashed ahead of me.

"Come on slow poke!" Blaze teased. Half of me reasoned to take it slow first but the other half wanted to show Blaze just how fast I could be. I decided to follow the second half, Blaze could use a smaller ego. I ran faster and faster until I passed Blaze.

"Who's the slow poke now?" I questioned, laughing.

"I'm not even trying yet." Blaze snickered, speeding up next to me. I ran faster until I was full on sprinting and we still had two laps left. Neither of us was getting ahead of the other which made me agitated, I was the fastest in the class.

Blaze and I both finished at the exact same time and finished half a lap ahead of everyone else. Blaze was heaving, gulping down water. I was breathing hard too, though not as hard as Blaze.

"Look whose out of breath?" I teased Blaze, laughing. Blaze just glared at me and drank more water.

"Blaze, Rose, Star and Thunder! Come here!" Slash yelled.

"Yes Sir!" We immediately yelped, dashing over to Slash.

"Blaze and Rose, you guys are a team. Star and Thunder, you guys will be another team. We are going to do some training. Both teams are going to try and save the dummy. Blaze and Rose will start at that end," Mr. Slash pointed to the left, "Star and Thunder, you guys will start over there." Mr. Slash pointed at the opposite end. "Whoever reaches the dummy first wins, the losers will be doing laps for the rest of the day." I thought of running laps for the rest of the day and shuddered.

"We better win this." I whispered to Blaze.

"Don't worry, we will." Blaze winked at me.

"Go to your positions!" Slash shouted. We all ran to our spots and waited for the signal to start. I knew I should expect holograms to try and stop us from reaching the dummy so I wasn't surprised when the blue lasers shot forward formed ninja-like holograms all dressed in black. These weren't normal holograms, they were extremely life-like. They could talk, walk and we could feel them. Of course, they weren't real and they faded once we were done with them so they were an ideal practice.

"They're holograms, we can feel them and they can feel us." I quickly explained to Blaze.

"Right, got it." Blaze nodded curtly. It never ceased to amaze me how the Spy Corporation kept so many technological advances a secret from the rest of the world. I looked at the plastic dummy in an old pink dress, with a blonde wig and no facial features, sitting in a chair. I was determined to win this and prove to Blaze that I was good at this.

"On your marks," Mr. Slash started. I looked at Blaze next to me and smiled, he smiled back, his perfect teeth shining.

"Get set," Mr. Slash continued. I looked back at the dummy, ready.

"Go!"