12. The Call

If you enjoy reading my story, and would like a sequel, please show some love by voting, and leave some comments telling me your thoughts about the story so far!

"Yes?" I answer, still unsure of who is on the line.

"I need to talk to Scarlett. I know she's there with you," a gruff male voice greets me, his voice full of desperation.

"Jackson?"

"Who else would it fücking be?" he snaps, directing his anger towards me.

What has he done to her?

My mind instantly goes back to the missed calls from last night and I am instantly guilt ridden that I didn't call her back straight away. I just got caught up with everything that happened, and it completely slipped my mind.

"She's not here àsshole, and I suggest you stay the fùck away from her. You don't deserve someone as good as her, and don't you ever call this number again speaking to me like that."

I end the call feeling instantly panicked and I frantically dial Scarlett's number.

She answers the phone just before it almost hits her voicemail and I can tell that by the background noise that she's driving.

"Scarlett? What's going on? Jackson called and he started yelling at me asking where you were. Are you okay?"

I give her a moment to process the multiple questions I've fired at her, but instead she tells me she's on her way over.

"I'll leave the front door open, come see me in my room," I tell her before she hangs up.

It's taking a while for her to arrive, and I try to read the closest book to me - Gone Girl, but I can't take anything of the words in. I find myself re-reading the same lines over and over, and push the book aside, knowing it's useless in this kind of situation. Scarlett arrives moments later and I can see she hasn't done her hair or make up, and her eyes are red from constant crying. She lies down on the bed in a ball and I cuddle her to try to take some of her sadness away.

After a few moments I ask her what happened.

"He's cheating," she says, almost helplessly.

That prick! I knew it!

"I knew he must have done something... he called me just before I called you. He started swearing at me asking me where you were, and I just hung up on him," I tell her.

"Bàstard," she mutters sadly under her breath.

"How do you know he's cheating?" I ask.

"Well... We had just finished... you know." I instantly feel a little awkward as she refers to them having séx.

Sëx seems to be the only thing anyone ever does or talks about when you're still a virgin. I'm not waiting until marriage or anything, but it's an important subject to me, and I don't want for my first to be with someone who doesn't deserve it. Even though I love Scarlett to death, she could be a little more careful with whom she lets into her life. And her pants...

"And then when we were laying there," she adds, sniffling, "I rolled over and found a used condom under his bed."

It's impossible for the condom to be from Scarlett, as they're no longer using condoms. She's on the pill, and when they started getting serious, they stopped using them after they got tested for STI's together as he hated the feel of them.