Attacks

Dan's POV

"Mr Howell?" I was jolted awake by someone lightly shaking my shoulder.

"Y-ye?" I groaned, rubbing my eyes.

"Sam's awake now, you can go talk to her. She has a bit of a headache but her arms are all clean and bandaged up." The nurse in front of me informed me.

"Thank you!" I scrambled to my feet and stumbled as fast as I could towards Sam's room. I slowed down as I got to her door, taking a second to compose myself before pushing the door open.

"Hey, blue eyes." I say softly, taking into account her headache.

"Hey." She said, opening her arms to beckon me over into a hug. The sight of her with bandages on her arms immediately brought back memories of the dream I'd had not 5 minutes ago.

I wen over to her and let her hug me, losing the ability to hold back my tears. "Hey hey hey shhh, what's wrong?" She cooed, stroking my head affectionately.

"I- I was just so worried about you then I had this stupid dream and it felt so real Sam! It could have been real!" I cried, completely forgetting about any dignity I might have had.

"It's alright, shhhh. I'm here, I'm fine! Look at me? I'm safe now. It was a silly little panic attack and they said I can go home in a few hours. Don't cry, do you wanna talk about your dream?" She asked softly.

"Well, it was a really cold day and I was visiting your grave for the first time. I brought you a single white rose to replace the red ones that were already there, you like roses. I talked to you and told you about how much we miss you ;Phil and Annie and I. It just made me think about how much I really would miss you if you were gone. I don't know how I could survive without you, I really don't Sam. You're my everything." I shifted our positions so that I was holding her in my arms as I sat next to her on the hospital bed, her head resting on my shoulder.

"The thought of you not being there with me... it killed me. In the dream I was wearing your llama hat and my hair was curly, the way you like it. I didn't cry in the dream though, I knew you wouldn't have wanted me to cry."

"No I wouldn't." Sam said softly. "I would want you to be happy. That's why I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here, with you, forever. I promised, didn't I?" She asked, touching the small rose earring I was wearing with the tip of her finger.

"We promised." I giggled at how cheesy I was and kissed her softly but passionately on the lips.

"Excuse me, can we have no frolicking in here please, this is a hospital." a rather disgruntled nurse barked as she came over to check on Sam, making me jump so much I almost fell off the bed.

"Er- sorry, I just, we, um..." I stammered, but decided it was best to say nothing.

"Sorry." Sam apologised giggling at my awkwardness. The nurse looked at us weirdly but picked up Sam's chart to make last minute checks.

"Now then Sam, you're alright to go home whenever you're ready, but you need to rest. Also, this might not be the last of your attacks so try and work on something to keep you calm so that this," she motioned to her arms. "Doesn't happened again. We'll give you some pills to take for your head and your clothes are on the chair over there. Mr Howell, we'll need you to sign a couple of forms before you go but apart from that you're all set to go home."

"Dan, my head really hurts, could you please bring me a glass of water and some of those pills from the hospital?"

"Sure." I said as I went to the kitchen to grab what Sam had asked for. We had been lying in my bed watching breaking bad for about 2 hours now, and the constant concentration was taking it's toll on Sam's headache.

"Maybe you should get some rest Sam." I said, watching her take the pills and drink the water I'd given her.

"But I am resting!" she complained. I looked at her and rises my eyebrows. "Fine. But could you stay here with me?" she asked.

"Course, just try and get some sleep." she styled down and I sat next to her, letting her rest her head on my legs.

I waited for a bit until I knew she was asleep, stroking her not straight hair and twirling little bits of it round my finger.

Soon enough, her breathing became regular as she rested in a deep and presumably dreamless sleep.

"Morning." Phil laughed after I walked into our glass kitchen door again. "You had a glass of cereal and walked into the door last night as well, didn't you?" he grinned as I clung onto my nose.

"What?! No!" I replied too quickly.

"There's a cornflake and a nose print on the door." Phil pointed out, but laughed again, before turning to pour himself a coffee.

"Want one?" he asked and looked up at me, still with the kettle in his hand.

"Your glasses have steamed up," I giggled as he used his fingers like wiper blades to clear the lenses. "And no thanks. I think I might take Sam out for some breakfast or something later."

"Okay. How is she?"

"She's actually doing good at the moment. I mean, the past few days have been difficult but she's getting better."

"Good. And has there been anything on-"

"No. They haven't found him yet. The police can't even find one guy." I snarled.

"It's alright, Dan, they'll find him. I know they will." Phil said, trying to comfort me.

"No you don't Phil! You don't know anything! And neither do I! What kind of a boyfriend am I? I can't even ensure the safety of the one I love the most."

"No, Dan, you're a great boyfriend. You've stayed with Sam and supported her through all of this shit that's been going on. Neither of you deserved any of this, especially not Sam, but you've been there for her when she needed you most. She knows she's safe with you, and if she has any more panic attacks you will be there with her to help her through. I'd say that makes you a pretty good boyfriend."

I was about to respond but just then a loud groan came from the couch in the living room. "Yes Dan, your lovely, Phil, that was inspiring. Now would you mind shutting up so I can get some sleep?!" Annie whined as she buried her head in a cushion.

"Did you know she was here?" I asked Phil, but he just shrugged and looked about as confused as I was.

"Annie, why are you in our apartment?" He asked, cautiously.

"My flat was lonely and it kept making noises."

"So you just broke in here instead did you?" Phil asked.

"Yep," she replied, popping the 'p' as she spoke. "I used a key, don't worry."

"Oh well that makes it alright then." I said sarcastically. We received a small nod from Annie in return and neither of us could help but giggle. Sam was right, she really was insane.