Chapter 10 - The truth

Feeling someone caressing her forehead, Payal opened her eyes. Turning her head to the side, she saw Akash, and gave him a small smile.

Akash helped her sit up straight and asked, "How are you feeling, Payal?"

"Very drained. Feels like my head would blow up any second." She replied, touching her head and frowned feeling something like a cloth wrapped around her forehead.

"What is this, Akashji? Is this....a bandage?" She asked.

"Yes," He started, "You had a sudden burning fever last night. We called the doctor again and she gave you an injection. Then we realized your head was bleeding, so she treated it. Fortunately, the wound was not that deep. And all the while, you were sleeping. Didn't you remember anything?"

"No. The last thing I remember was Arnavji shouting at the electricians without any mercy."

Akash chuckled and said, "Yeah, bhai was super freaked out finding you in that position. So was Ma..... And everyone."

"But more than anyone, I was so scared, Payal. Terrified! My heart was pounding wildly the whole time. Please do not do that again. I cannot see you in pain. Never leave me." He said, hugging her gently.

"I am sorry." Came a low whisper from her.

Akash shook his head in a 'No' and kissed her hair. He helped her to the washroom and stood outside.

"You freshen up. Meanwhile, I'll get something for you to eat." After Payal closed the door, he headed to the kitchen and brought some food for her.

Payal was feeling very guilty. Determined to tell Akash the truth, she stepped out. He helped her to the bed as she was still feeling very weak and started feeding her.

He noticed something strange with Payal's demeanor. Like something was bothering her. To all the random questions he asked, she replied in monosyllabic answers. But later he brushed away that thought, thinking she must be feeling tired.

After having food, and after a long minute of silence, Payal started, "Akashji, do you remember our Mehandi? I told you something that day. Do you remember it?"

#####Flashback#####

Gathering all the guts, Akash boldly asked elders permission to spend some time with Payal to which they agreed, not before teasing him, of course. Taking Payal to the terrace, they both shared some awkward yet blissful time together.

Before leaving, "Akashji, can I tell you something?" Payal asked.

"Sure, Payalji. What is that?" he asked.

"I love and care for your family as much as I do mine. I.. No, we (Guptas) all respect your family a lot. We always wish the well being of yours. In the future, if anything happens that might cause any sort of problem between our families or any misunderstandings, please remember that whatever we did was for the happiness of this family. Just remember that."

"Payalji, what is.....why are you saying like that? Is there any problem?" asked a completely bemused Akash.

"No, no. Nothing like that. It's just.....I mean.......Do you..do you trust me?"

"Of course, I trust you. But what's all..."

"That's all what I need. When the time comes, you will know." Payal said.