Chapter 34 - An awkward day

Khushi, Payal, and Lavanya were sitting in Khushi's room in the Guptas' house, chatting nineteen to the dozen. Or, at least, Payal and Lavanya were talking; Khushi was busy battling with her phone because Arnav was not answering her calls nor was responding to her messages since the previous night, and that made her super furious at him. Arnav flew away to his safe house after getting Khushi into trouble with Buaji and had not contacted Khushi since then.

Lucky that her Mehendi did not get ruined, or else Khushi and Buaji would have spent a lovely night together with Buaji chasing her all around Laxmi Nagar to whip her behind with a rolling pin. Coming to the turmeric stains, Khushi came up with a ridiculous story, "There was a sudden earthquake, Buaji. I rolled down onto the floor and that cooler blew the turmeric powder all over me. I was sweaty, so it stained my skin."

The 2 elderly ladies bought Khushi's excuse but that did not save her from Buaji's wrath. Buaji awarded her with a large dose of tongue-lashing while Vimala Mausi searched every nook and corner of the house to sweep away turmeric power, but to her confusion, the only thing she found in yellow other than her turmeric bag was Khushi. Laughing at the 2 gullible ladies, Payal took pity on Khushi and rescued her away to their house.

It was the next morning and very soon Khushi would be sitting through a special ritual that was unknown to her. She was done with Arnav as it became clear to her that he was in no way going to respond to her, and vowed to make him pay. It was then curiosity took birth in Khushi and she began pestering her sister for information.

"But, Jiji, what kind of a special pooja am I supposed to sit through now? I don't remember you performing this pooja during your marriage," said Khushi.

"Of course, you have no clue about this ritual," answered Payal.

"Why not?"

"Because unmarried women are not allowed to take part in it. Do you remember, Amma and Buaji sent you to Shantivan to deliver Akash's wedding dress? Mine took place then."

"But we have no such ritual in our customs, do we?"

"No, we don't. You know Sarada Dadiji, the eldest woman in the whole of our Laxmi Nagar?"

"Yes."

"It is her belief that every bride must be subjected to this ritual in order to lead a perfect married life. Every household in our area performs it before the wedding, out of respect towards Sarada Dadiji."

"Oh," Khushi processed the details deeply. "How long is it going to take?"

"The ritual finishes up very quickly, don't worry. But mind me, those few minutes will feel like an eternity of awkwardness."

"Really? Exactly what is this ritual about?"

Suppressing her laughter, Payal answered, "You are going to get the talk from our elders, Khushi."

Khushi frowned in confusion whereas Lavanya, who had been a silent spectator till then, spat out the drink she was having.

"The talk? You mean the actual talk, Payal?" said Lavanya, her eyes twinkling.

"Yes. I mean, sort of," giggled Payal. "Don't expect it to be straightforward. It's not even close. They technically played dumb charades with me during my ritual, and it was even more embarrassing because I somehow got the gist but they were trying very hard to educate me of that aspect without using their mouths."

Lavanya collapsed and started to laugh like crazy while rolling all over the bed.

"Hello! I did not understand anything!" said Khushi sharply. "What is 'the talk'?"