Chapter 13 - Father-in-law

Arnav stood frozen at the door.His mind went blank. It took him a moment to snap back into reality. He quickly rushed to Khushi who was crying and shaking Shashi, trying to get him into consciousness. She then saw Arnav who knelt beside her.

He took a brief glance at Shashi. Blood drained, face all pale and covered in sweat, not breathing but the pulse was very faint.

"What happened, Khushi?" he asked, making a call for an Ambulance.

"I...I don't know. When I got here, he was like this. No one is home." Khushi replied weeping. "Babujii!!! Open your eyes!!"

Damn!

There was no network and they got no time. With Khushi's help, Arnav carried Shashi to his car and they sped towards a nearby hospital. Due to heavy down pour, the roads were all deserted. Fortunately, the hospital wasn't that far.

Both of them hurriedly entering the hospital, Arnav shouting for help, Shashi being taken to the ICU, doctors scurrying in and out the room......everything just happened in a blink.

Khushi simply stood still all the time. The moments she spent with Shashi, his love, his care, his support were flashing before her eyes. She lost her parents once, yet fortunate enough to get another loving family who took her in with warm hearts. She pulled through the first time but if anything happened to him now, would she make it?

Arnav barked orders at every doctor, worried for Shashi. He suspected if Shyam was behind Shashi's state. What was he doing at GH? After pacing in the corridors and analysing the situation, it did not take him a rocket science to figure everything out. Though he was 90% sure, he still needed some confirmation.

He secretly prayed for Shashi. Looking at the stony Khushi, his heart bled. He could understand what she was going through. Glancing at the ICU one more time, he went towards Khushi.

Reaching her, "Khushi?" he called.

Gently placed his hand on her shoulder and shook. Still got no response. A lone tear spilled from her eyes but her face held no expression.

He did what he must have had done the previous time they were in this situation.

Taking her in a strong embrace, "Khushi, don't worry. Everything is going to be okay. Uncle will be fine. Your Babuji will be fine. Stay strong." He comforted her.

After a couple of moments, he felt her arms sliding up his back. A small sob escaped her as she threw herself more into his embrace and started crying bitterly. He just stayed rubbing her back in an attempt to give her some solace.

"Arnavji!!!! Wha...what is happening? Why is it always me that is tested everytime? If I keep on being strong, and gets emotional hurdles in my life every now and then, then I better remain a weak person because I can't​ take it anymore. Not anymore!!!" He felt her trembling but didn't stop. She had to let it all out.

"Everyone says 'Khushi is a brave woman. She can face any hellish obstacle and overcome them.' Hell no! They don't know how vulnerable I feel, how broken and lost I am from within. From my childhood, I lose people who are dear to me and yet I take the risk to love everyone around me, shower them with happiness. And now if I lose my Babuji I...I don't know if..if I can bear.......I cannot lose him...I....."

"Shh...Shhh!" Lifting her face towards his, "Nothing is going to happen to him. He will be fine."

Who knows better than him how it feels to lose ones parents!