Chapter 31 - Heartbreaks

The night had fallen and the sky was inky with specks of twinkling stars shining all over it. The cool breezes hit the two figures who sat, relaxed, on the floor, revelling the serenity. While one was talking away the night, the other was admiring the beauty opposite him.

"I still cannot believe, NK, that it has already been 10 days since we've arrived here. I've had tons of fun! Seriously, I spent 3 years during my graduation here in Sydney and there was so much more left unexplored. I've covered all of it now, though. Thanks to you," winked Lavanya.

NK was looking at her dreamily.

"Also, I have to admit, you are a very cool boss. I noticed when you took me to your office that your staff seemed very free and comfortable working under you. It's a wonder that you, a brainless idiot, are managing the huge PR constructions effortlessly," she joked, hoping to get a reaction out of him.

Lavanya flushed slightly under his unwavering gaze.

"And your parents are just amazing and lovely. They've made me feel home. See this," she held up her hand to show a shimmering white bracelet, "Your mother gifted me. Isn't it just beautiful? And your father gave me the chicest shades in the world. Wearing them, I'd look like a total badass B! He's just the coolest man on earth!"

NK continued to gaze at her unblinkingly.

She snapped her fingers and said, "Hello, boss! I'm going back to London tomorrow. Are you going to sit this way all night like a statue? Say something."

"I love you," said NK.

That was the last thing Lavanya expected to hear from him at that time. Nevertheless, her heart skipped a few beats, stomach fluttered excitedly and eyes twinkled. She was unaware of this reaction.

NK was taken aback by his own words. It just slipped out of his mouth. He never realized that he was in love with Lavanya, but at that moment, he did.

Lavanya remained still, gaping at him.

Looking deep into her eyes, he leaned forward inching closer to kiss her. He waited for her to stop him or just slap him but instead, she closed her eyes and pressed her lips to his. Their breaths mingled, heart pounded rapidly as they deepened the kiss.

He cupped her face, tracing her pretty dimples and repeated, "I love you."

Lavanya suddenly broke the kiss and pushed him at the chest. Both of their trances were broken. NK looked at her, confused. Her face reflected her inner turmoil as she stood up. He followed her suit hastily.

"Lav, what happened?"

"No, NK. This cannot happen," she whispered.

"What? Why not?" He came forward and gently held her by the shoulders, "I love you, Lavanya. I've been in love with you for a long time. I just realized it."

"This is wrong, NK. We cannot do this," her voice trembled.

"What do you mean?"

"Ju... just don't prod further!"

"Don't block out your feelings, Lavanya. You also love me. I can feel it," smiled NK.

"No, I don't love you!"

"Then why did you let me kiss you? Why have you responded to it?"