Chapter 35 - Mr and Mrs Raizada

The days were up, the hours had trickled by, and it was finally the big day. The moment everyone had been eagerly waiting for was at last there. Everyone had been yearning for this day for a really long time and when it was ultimately here, they couldn't believe it. It was the wedding day of Arnav and Khushi.

Twinkling stars were spread all over the dark ether and the crescent of the moon enhanced the natural serenity of the sky. The Sheesh Mahal was dazzling in its real glory after many years. A mandap was set in the middle of the garden around which, at a distance, some couches had been arranged for a very limited number of guests as they wanted a private, simple wedding ceremony. The whole marquee was elaborately embellished with traditional diyas, mesmerizing fairy lights, and varieties of celestial flowers.

The Guptas, with a very few, close friends/relatives, were anticipating the arrival of the Raizadas any moment. They were waiting at the humungous guest quarters of the palace. Pretty soon, they heard a chord of music with shehnai and tabla, indicating the arrival of the bridegroom's side. Everyone greeted each other warmly. Arnav was nowhere to be seen. They stood conversing to kill the time until the auspicious moment to begin the wedding came.

Inside the quarters, Khushi's whole form was shaking in a pleasant anxiety. She was adorned in a rich red lehenga-choli that Arnav had designed for her with matching heavy jewellery and wearing a minimal amount of makeup. She was feeling very agitated as wanted to hide in that room forever, and run outside into her Arnavji's embrace at the same time; two very contrary cases.

"Khushi, relax a bit," mumbled Payal, rubbing her shoulders.

"No, I... I can hear the shehnai. They are here, he is here! Then why am I still here?" gasped Khushi.

"ASR is yet to come, Chamkili. You need to calm down or else you would lose all the natural glow you attained from the haldi this morning," quipped Lavanya and went outside to check on the situation.

"He still isn't here? Why? Did he deny his haldi? Are they still carrying out the ritual there? We have no time! This Laad Governor always doe---"

"Khushi, give your wild imaginations a rest! And no, he has consented to haldi in the morning," assured Payal.

"How do you know? He makes a big fuss out of everything! I am sure they are still doing the ritual---"

"Everyone has applied the turmeric paste on him. Including me! Now just relax. We are waiting for the muhurat."

Smiling, Lavanya came galloping back in and covered Khushi's eyes.

"Wha... What are you doing?" asked Khushi.

"Shh, just walk."

Lavanya beckoned Payal to follow them and slowly led Khushi through the huge building, still covering her eyes. The moment Khushi stepped outside, she heard cheers and giggles from the people around her. She was then allowed to open her eyes. Both families along with some close acquaintances were all smiling at her.

Every second she endured suspense from anyone's silence, a deep, dark part of her mind alerted that something was wrong. Was it really? Why was no one speaking?

"Why aren't we going?" she squeaked.

Anjali came forward and said while turning Khushi around, "We were waiting for you to hop onto your vehicle."

The moment Khushi twirled to the other side, the sight that greeted her left her spell bounded. There was a wide pathway made of rose petals with diyas aligned as an outline all the way up to her Arnavji who sat on a magnificent white stallion, dressed in a royal cream sherwani and wearing a pagdi. Delighted at her astonished expression, he got down and walked to her, and extended his hand.