Chapter 12 - The Confrontation

“Hai re NandaKishore!! Hey, Garima, where are you going now?” Buaji asked Garima, seeing a Pooja Thali in her hands.

Jiji, I’m just going to the temple.”

“I can see that, but in this weather? It could rain anytime.”

“I know. I want to do a pooja for our family, especially for Khushi. She is being so lost lately.” Garima said looking at Khushi, who drank herself into oblivion.

Buaji nodded saying, “Yes, you are right. These days she is being all silent, totally unlike her. Or she will just immerse herself in work by sewing, designing some outfits. She needs to go out. Do one thing, take her with you to the temple. It will be a change.”

“I asked her to come along but she refused.” Garima replied.

“This is strange. The girl who jumps in first to go to temples, doesn’t wish to go?” Buaji thought outloud.

“May be she is worrying about the alliance with Arnav babua. We will talk about this with her after I return.” Said Garima, exiting their house.

“Are you taking an umbrella with you?” shouted buaji.

“Yes, I am.” Came a reply.

Mumbling ‘Hai re NK’, Buaji entered Khushi’s room. She felt sad seeing her Sankadevi all calm. Reaching her, she placed a hand on her shoulder causing Khushi to startle a bit, bringing her out of reverie.

“Oh! Buaji aap. Do you need something? Has babuji taken his medicines?” shot Khushi.

“Yes, he has taken his meds.” Bua replied calmly.

Khushi just nodded with her eyes downcast.

Heaving a sigh, “Bitiya, what are you doing in the room alone? Come to the hall and watch TV. Aren’t you feeling bored? Why are you being all silent? I miss my crazy Sankadevi.” Joked buaji to which Khushi gave a weak smile.

“I wish to be alone for sometime, buaji. You know, to clear off my mind.” Khushi said.

“Arre! How will you clear off your mind  if you remain closed like a cocoon? You should have gone to the temple with Garima. What happened, too occupied in your thoughts that you have no interest in visiting your Devi Maiyya?”

“It’s not that! I…I cannot go to temple today.” Mumbled Khushi.

“Ohh!” exclaimed buaji, understanding her problem. “Still you should go out and roam around the streets.” Buaji gently tugged Khushi to get up.

“But the weather….” Khushi protested.

“Uff don’t fuss around. *Giving her an umbrella* Now go out and enjoy in your favorite weather. You eat Kulfi, Jalebi, Chana, Golgappa anything you want, and I won’t say anything even if you dance in the rain. Just don’t come back home with this dull face. *pinching her chin* It’s been many days since I saw your bright twinkling, mischief eyes.” 

Feeling all loved, Khushi hugged buaji and exited their house.

After she left, buaji made some tea for herself and sat in the living room, knitting some clothes.

“It’s really good thing that Khushi once again started tailoring and clothes designing work. Otherwise, it would have been difficult to run this house with just my pension.” “Okay, Khushi does good designing works, but not upto my standard, of course.” She praised herself.