5| PARTNERS IN CRIME

The bell rang, signalling the end of class. Callas packed up her things and slung her bag over her shoulders, picking up the jacket, looking at the timetable. It said she had a free period, so she thought about finding the library to start researching for the History project. She'd rather get it done now than wait until the last minute, she wanted to do it on her own so she knew that she'd be putting in the effort that was needed, she didn't really want to work in a group because she didn't know if they would put it off and do a bad job on it last minute. That and she didn't know anyone besides the boy, so she wasn't ready to mingle just yet. The corridors didn't have any signs pointing towards the library, which meant Callas would probably use up her entire free just looking for it.

"Wait up!" Callas heard the boy yell from behind her. She didn't stop, but she slowed down.

Callas wasn't too sure on him yet. Something about him just seemed rather fake and forced, he was too happy and enthusiastic about certain things, too willing to talk about himself like he had nothing to hide. Everyone has secrets. Including him. Which was why she was being wary of him. The boy caught up to her, putting his bag on his shoulders, holding an opaque water bottle in his hand. When she turned down one of the corners, he almost continued walking straight ahead before he looked over to her and jogged to catch up, laughing a little bit to himself as he watched Callas bite down on her lower lip, trying to find the library.

He raised an eyebrow at her. "So, I never got your name."

"That's because I never told you it," she mumbled as she looked into one of the rooms, there was a class going on.

He paused. "Right." He nodded. "Well, I'm Henry." He held his hand out to her with a grin. Callas, reluctantly, shook his hand.

"Callas," she mumbled back before looking down at her timetable, sort of wishing that there had been a map.

"Like the flower?"

"No, like the soprano singer."

Henry took a swig of his water, clearly accepting her answer, with some still in his mouth he asked Callas, "What are you looking for?"

Henry looked over her shoulder and at her timetable. She could feel him breathing on her, it made her uncomfortable that he was so close to her. Letting out a sigh, as she folded the paper up and put it in her pocket, she turned to walk up a small set of stairs, catching Henry off guard. He let out another laugh to himself, which baffled Callas as there was nothing remotely funny about the situation, yet it seemed to entertain Henry quite a bit. Skipping some of the steps to get up them faster, Callas heard Henry speak up again;

"Cally, wait up!" She paused, allowing him to catch up to her. Now, side by side, she continued to walk, hoping to find the library soon. "Want to tell me what you're looking for? I can help, you know."

"The library," her voice was quiet as she glanced into another room.

"We're going the wrong way." He laughed.

Her voice was barely above a whisper, "Well, I didn't know that."

"Come on, I'll show you where it is." He placed his hand on her wrist, pulling her back the way they came.

Henry pulled her back down the stairs, his hand never letting go of her. She kept quiet, not knowing if she would come across as rude if she pulled her hand away, he just wanted to help and she didn't need to argue or upset him before she got to the library. Henry, who turned to look back at her, smiled a toothy grin as he walked to one of the doors leading outside. Pushing the door open, letting go of her hand, the cold air made its way over to Callas causing her to shiver. But she couldn't be bothered to put the jacket on as they were already close to the other side of the courtyard, walking through another set of doors to the library.