62| INSTINCT

After Callas had called both the boys out the other day, Sam went on to creating the patrol groups. Callas quickly grew bored of listening to them and went back upstairs to sleep, with Zeus following her quickly. When she had woken up the next day, Zeus was laying beside her, in the middle of the bed, between her and Reed. Reed was asleep on his stomach, his head facing towards the door, while his left arm hung over the side of the bed. Callas breathed in deeply, stretching, letting out a small groan before she settled back under the covers of the quilt, gently petting Zeus as he slept. Her eyes stared up at the ceiling blankly while she listened to the faint sound of the waves that crashed into the sand down at the beach, and the sound of birds quietly chirping as the sun rose up in the sky. It wasn't as if Callas wasn't grateful that Sam and Emily had allowed her and Reed to stay in their house because she was, it was just that she missed being home with Silas and Anya. She missed the small routine that they had and the conversations between Silas and Anya early in the morning. She couldn't help but feel responsible for taking that away from herself after she told Silas what had happened to Reed. Callas just wanted to go home.

     "You're awake early," Reed croaked from his side of the bed, not bothering to move to look over at her.

     "Yeah, so are you." She continued to stare up at the ceiling, not once looking over at him as she spoke, it was as if her body didn't want to turn her head. It seemed as if her body didn't want to look at him out of guilt.

     "I'm always up early," his voice was muffled from where his head was laying on his pillow.

     "I'm usually up before you are," she argued.

     "Doesn't change the fact that I get up early, you just get up extra early." Reed laughed quietly before he heard Callas sigh. "What?"

     "I just can't help but feel responsible for what happened to Si."

     "What do you mean?"

     "When I told him that you were gone, granted Embry was there and said some things, he had a heart attack, and it's my fault."

     Reed rolled over and looked at her with knitted eyebrows. "No." He shook his head. "It's not. If I didn't go after Will, then none of it would have happened. It's my fault."

     Callas made a face as she disagreed. "Technically it's Will's because you didn't know what you were or that anything would have happened if you went after him, you were just doing your job."

     "See? It wasn't your fault."

     "By that logic, it wasn't yours either."

     "Are we agreeing it was Will's?"

     Callas nodded. "It's his fault."

     "Great. So, can I sleep some more?"

     "Never said you had to wake up." Callas glanced over at him.

     "Smartass." Reed rolled over and tried to get comfortable, but he couldn't. "Great, now I can't get back to sleep." He laid onto his back again, looking up at the ceiling like Callas was doing. There was a short pause before he asked, "Breakfast?"

     "Yeah."

     Both of them pushed the blankets off their bodies to get up, but only Callas shivered once she stood up from the bed and placed the blanket back over the spot she had once laid on. "I can't believe you yelled at Paul." Reed laughed, sitting with his legs over the side of the bed while his hands were balled up into fists that rested on the mattress beside him. "That was amazing and brave."