51| LEARNING ABOUT THE NOMAD

There had been a few minutes of silence. A few minutes which, as strange as it was, seemed to be over in the blink of an eye. Carlisle and Esme had left, but Callas didn't pay much attention to their reasoning. Rosalie soon followed after them, taking Renesmee with her. Callas didn't move her gaze from the ground, still not sure of how she'd react to the Cullens. Alice had pushed Jasper out of the room—claiming to go hunting, which didn't settle Callas's stomach one bit. Emmett remained. He stood standing with his arms crossed, blocking some of the doorway—Callas's only escape. Although, it wasn't as if she really could. She wouldn't get very far before she was caught. One mind read from Edward, or a simple glimpse from Alice and she wouldn't even be able to make it off the sofa before she was stopped—hell, she wouldn't even be able to consider running before she was stopped, especially with Alice's precognition.

Bella, slowly, mainly for Callas's sake, walked over and sat down next to her, keeping at least some distance between the two of them. That was something Callas was thankful for. All she could hear with her own breathing, everything else seemed silent, mainly because three of the seven people in the room didn't need to breathe—or maybe they weren't able to—while the other three seemed to have calmed their breathing to the point where it was near undetectable, she hated the feeling of rubatosis. But this was all new to her... of course she was scared. Callas cleared her throat.

"So, you guys are—"

"Vampires. Yeah," Emmett nodded as he interrupted her.

A worried expression fell over Callas's face. She had known that they were vampires thanks to Sam revealing that information to her the previous night where he made sure almost everything was explained to her—but for some reason, hearing them admit it made the hairs on the back of her neck prick up and a cold, uncomfortable, chill ran down her spine. A similar feeling she got when she had been out in the rain and her clothes were damp, just beginning to dry, leaving a strange texture behind and a lingering heavy, damp, and somehow warm feeling behind. Something that she felt just before getting a cold the next day because she didn't dry off or change clothes quickly enough. It was a horrible feeling. Edward got up from the piano and made his way to Callas, kneeling in front of her, smiling gently. But it didn't help her nerves any better—they had to drink blood in order to survive. They had to kill in order to live. But that wasn't a new concept to Callas—it was the natural order of life. But the fact that they drank blood to survive their immortal life—that right there—that wasn't a concept she was familiar with.

"We don't 'eat' humans. We feed on animals."

That relaxed her slightly—although not on much. "Oh, that's... comforting. Besides, I've been told I smell too much like mutts, so I guess you wouldn't bother trying."

Edward nodded. "Yeah, something like that. It's also why our eyes are this colour and not red."

Next to her, Bella smiled comfortingly, trying to be the one to ease Callas's nerves, considering Edward wasn't doing a very good job at it. "Can you tell us anything about who attacked you?"

She sighed. "Will. His name is Will Blanchard." Her eyes drew back to the ground, trying not to look anyone in the eyes.

Emmett lightly punched his right hand to his left palm. "So, he's the nomad?"

"Emmett," Edward warned him. The look on Edwards face, as he turned to look towards Emmett, caused him to drop the small smirk he had on his face. Emmett took that as his cue to leave, his hands held up in defence as he walked out. Edward looked back to Callas. "Anything else? Did he say anything to you?"