27| JUMPERS

Callas picked up her bag from her bed, making sure that Embry's jumper was inside before she walked out of her room, closing the door, and made her way down the stairs. Jacob was sitting down on the sofa while Zeus was laying his head on his lap. Silas was reading the newspaper, occasionally looking up to ask Jacob a question about how school was and how his family was doing. Anya was in the kitchen, talking to Reed, while finishing up their lunches. When she got off the last step, Jacob turned around and offered her a warm smile. She smiled back, but she wasn't sure if it looked more like a grimace than an actual smile. Reed walked out of the kitchen, handing Callas the bag with her lunch, kissing the top of her head before he made his way out of the house. Jacob stood up and looked at Callas.

'Don't worry, Callas, I'll get to what he and his friends are soon enough.'

She had no idea what that meant. What were Embry's friends, if not just normal people? Were they vampires or immortals as well? What was Jacob? Could she trust them now that the Wight had just claimed that they weren't normal boys? Could this all be just some practical joke? Whatever it was, it wasn't funny, and Callas was certainly not entertained or enjoying it. If they were behind all of it then she couldn't tell them about it, they'd make fun of her or make her feel even more insane by stepping up their game. Jacob had a look on his face as he watched her, Silas had a similar look. Maybe it was because she looked like she had just seen a ghost, or maybe it was because she had just been staring at Jacob suspiciously trying to figure out what it was that the Wight had actually meant. Why had he called Embry a mutt? Was it possible that Embry wasn't all that human as well? Or even all the boys?

"Ready?" No.

She shrugged. "I don't really have a choice."

"I know." He nodded, a pitiful expression broke out on his face.

Before she left, she quickly walked into the kitchen to hug Anya goodbye, thanking her for the lunch before she made her way over to Silas to hug him goodbye as well. Callas patted Zeus on the head before she followed Jacob over to the front door. Was it so hard for her to just have a normal day? Callas tried to shake the feeling of being constantly watched as they walked out of the house. Whatever sick joke was going on, she had enough of it. She wasn't sure how it was being done, but when she found out there was going to be hell to pay. She wasn't going to allow someone to walk free after tormenting her. There was going to be payback. A small beep pulled her away from her thoughts, she looked up to the vehicle. Jacob had brought his truck instead of the motorbike.

Callas raised an eyebrow. "Maybe I'll live this time."

"You didn't die before." He rolled his eyes, shaking his head at her as he leaned against the bonnet of the truck.

"I did on the inside."

"Ha, ha. Just get in the truck." He shook his head with a light laugh, opening his door to sit inside.

Callas grinned at him, opening the door to the passenger's side before she got in. Just play along, if it is a practical joke that they are all in on, then play along, Callas thought to herself. Jacob turned on the engine, the warmth from the heater flooded the small area where they sat. It wasn't uncomfortable, but she just assumed that Jacob didn't need a heater with how warm he already was. She looked out the window as he reversed, turning the truck around before he drove down the road. Callas had her bag on her lap as she watched the houses disappear one by one as the truck drove closer to the main road. The weather wasn't as warm as it was when she first arrived in La Push, but it wasn't snowing yet, so that was a good thing. Jacob snorted a laugh to himself, Callas looked over to him with a raised eyebrow.