14| ABSENT

When Henry had left on Thursday, they had almost completed their History project. For the first time, after being back in La Push, the sun was out. It was warm, for once, and Callas didn't fret too much about the open window as the cool air from the sea was a nice change from the icy cold wind she was used to. But it was still not warm enough to go without a jumper to school. She 'borrowed' one of Reed's while he was in the shower, it wasn't like he was going to be wearing it that day anyway, he had a uniform he needed to wear.

     Reed seemed to be equally as happy about the warm weather. As he made his way back downstairs, freshly washed and cleaned, he had a smile etched out on his face. Anya walked out of the kitchen with a thermos for Reed and two small bags with food in it, one for him and one for Callas. Callas wasn't exactly sure why, but, Reed seemed to be in an exceptionally happy mood, it could have been due to the weather and not having seen sun for a long time since leaving Utah, but she wasn't to know for sure, she didn't bother to ask, just in case she said something to put him out of his happy mood.

     "Have a good day today," Anya chimed with a smile. There must have been something about the sun that made these people so happy, Callas had thought to herself.

     "You too," Reed replied with a grin.

     Callas shook her head, with a laugh, at the two of them. Reed opened the front door, breathing in the air before he stepped out, Callas rolled her eyes at him before stepping out, turning back to wave at Anya as she closed the front door. The sun shone down warmly as she made her way to the passenger side of the Jeep. When she got in and closed the door behind her, Reed had started up the engine, pulling out of the driveway. She wasn't exactly looking forward to school, her timetable was completely full, and that's not what she wanted on a Friday.

     As Reed drove, Callas looked out the window and towards the trees. She planned on mapping out the running route that weekend, even if Reed wasn't available, she just wanted to get out and run. It had been almost a week since they got there and the only running she had done was in the two lessons of P.E. that she had in school. However, she didn't count Tuesday as a lesson as it was cut short, but the first lesson on Thursday was almost a full lesson. But it still wasn't enough for Callas.

     "What time do you end today?" Reed asked as his thumbs tapped the steering wheel.

     "Uh, around half three. Why?"

     "I end early today, so I was thinking about picking you up, maybe taking you out to the running shop? Unless Gramps wants me to do something for him."

     "Yeah, sounds good." Callas nodded.

     Reed smiled. "Then, maybe, next week we could go down to the beach together? Maybe have a route mapped out down to one of the beaches?"

     "You want to run to the beach?"

     "Uh..."

     "Or is something else happening at the beach next Friday?" Callas smirked.

     "Maybe..."

     "Say, I don't know, the bonfire?"

     Reed stifled a laugh as he glanced over at her. "That could be the reason... But I'm sure it's held at Billy's place."

     "Can we bring Zeus?" Callas pushed her hair out of her face as she looked over to him from the window. "Or is there a no dog policy at the beach?"

     "I'll ask Gramps later," Reed told her as he pulled into the parking lot. "I'm sure he'll be allowed to join."

     "Good, he should get out more."