42| WHEN YOU WAKE

There was a loud steady beeping noise beside her bed when Callas woke up. Her eyes blinked heavily to adjust to the light in the room, although it wasn't very bright, someone must have dimmed them slightly to be more bearable for when she woke up. The room was a pale eggshell colour with a horrible dark green line around the wainscoting and base of the wall, it was also oddly shaped with a dark green coloured door opposite her bed, it was left ajar, and Callas could faintly make out a bathroom sink and mirror. The last thing she remembered was seeing Reed with tears running down his face in their kitchen while he mumbled apologises to her. But, for what? She wasn't entirely sure. She also remembered that Will had been there. But her memory only went to that extent. Callas couldn't piece together anything. Such as; why he was there, how he got there, let alone what had happened while he was there.

     Soft snores came from both her left and right. Weakly, her head fell to the right. Seth was laying uncomfortably on a chair; his legs were over one arm of the chair while his arms and head hung off the other. His hoodie was unzipped and she could see a hot chocolate stain down his shirt, his overly worn-in vans tracked mud stains in the room as well. She blinked. Her eyes drifted to the loud beeping sound. A heart rate monitor was standing next to her bed, there were wires everywhere. She had a pulse oximeter attached to her forefinger like Henry did when she visited him in the hospital after the accident he was in.

     When Callas struggled to move her head to her left, she saw Reed on another chair. He had laid his head on the side of the bed, and his right hand was holding onto her left hand, rather awkwardly, as he slept. His work jacket was hung over the back of his chair. Her fingers twitched, her throat was too dry to say anything. Reed slowly pricked his head up at her movement, looking at her fingers before his eyes widened and he looked to her face. He whispered out a small 'hey' as he moved closer, brushing the hair from her face again. His cheeks were stained with tears and his eyes were puffy and red. Callas forced a smile at him, still slightly groggy from just waking up. She wanted answers, but she knew she had to wait. Reed could sense that she was still tired and told her to get some more sleep, but she couldn't, not now at least. With some discomfort, she sat up more, looking at the jug of water on the tray table at the bottom of her bed. Reed got up and poured some in a cup, handing it over before he sat back down, watching her with a relief stricken expression. The water felt ice cold against her throat, despite it probably being room temperature by the time she drank it.

     When Reed opened his mouth to speak, his voice still sounded rough from the night before. He swallowed before placing his hand on her leg, that was covered by the hospital blanket. "H-How are you feeling?"

     "Like I was actually hit by the road-train truck," Callas croaked out. She thought back to when she skipped school, deciding to go to the cafe instead and almost getting herself killed in the process when she thought closing her eyes while riding her bike was a good idea. Which she later realised was not the case, in fact, it was the complete opposite of a good idea.

     "What?" He furrowed his eyebrows, not fully understanding what she meant. To Callas, he didn't seem worried or shocked, which was understandable. That was possibly because he didn't even know that she had almost been hit by the truck in the first place, but Callas knew that if he did know about it, his face would turn red and steam would burst out of his ears before yelling in a panic over her.

     "Nothing." She shook her head.

     Reed breathed out deeply, clearing his throat as he raised an eyebrow, hoping for her to say something that would help him find Will. "Do you remember anything?"

     She held the cup in her hand, lowering it down to her lap. "Will was there." Reed nodded his head, shuffling the chair closer to her, thinking that maybe she'd say more on the subject.