21| FIREPLACES

By the time Reed and Callas got back home, her mind was filled with more confusion and questions than when they got to hospital earlier that day. She was meant to have all her questions answered, not have more build up and suffocate her until it felt like she was drowning in a sea of her own questions. One thing she couldn't understand was why Henry didn't mention that he had a brother before, even if it was just a small name drop. But she guessed that she got that now. Will. William Blanchard. Henry said nothing more. But why would he mention Will now? What did he mean when he said that bad things are going to keep happening? And how could they be worse?

     A tapping on the Jeep window pulled her from her thoughts. Reed was standing there looking at her worriedly, his plaid shirt covered by his work jacket. A sigh left her lips as she opened the door and stepped out, closing it gently behind her. Reed locked the door and wrapped his arm around her shoulders, bringing her inside the house where Silas and Anya were waiting for them. Anya pulled Callas into a hug, not saying much. Callas guessed that Reed had already informed them about Henry and that he was okay, but he could be doing a lot better. Silas folded his newspaper up and watched as Callas slowly pulled away from Anya and sat down on the sofa.

     "How are you feeling, Pumpkin?" Silas leaned over the side of his recliner and placed his hand on Callas's knee, giving it a light squeeze.

     Callas nodded to herself, staring at the ground. "Better."

     Silas patted her knee before he sat back in his chair. Zeus got up from the floor and jumped up on the sofa to lay on her lap. Reed sat down next to her, throwing his arm around the back of the sofa while Anya went to make some warm drinks. At least now Callas knew that Henry was okay—well, as okay as he could be considering the circumstances. But the question of how Will fit into all of this puzzled her immensely. How could he have anything to do with the car accident that Henry and his dad were in? Was he driving as well? The questions began to cause a headache, but that didn't stop them from multiplying like germs.

     "You know," Reed started, nudging Callas's shoulder with his hand. "Michael said that Henry should be back to school by next week, maybe even Friday if things go well."

     "Who's Michael?"

     "Henry's dad?"

     "Oh, I just know him as Mr Blanchard." She shrugged.

     "Right, well, he said that Henry was doing a lot better than he was on the weekend. So, maybe, don't worry as much? I can see forehead wrinkles emerging, it's not a good look on you." He poked her forehead, making her bat his hands away from her.

     "Henry's my best friend, who is in hospital with broken ribs, and you think I'm not going to worry?" Callas raised an eyebrow.

     Reed raised his hands in surrender. "Okay, okay, I see where you're coming from. Do you feel like going to school tomorrow?"

     "Not really."

     "Are you just saying that to get out of lessons?"

     "No."

     "Do you want me to take the day off?"

     "No. I'll be fine. I'll probably just go for a run."

     Reed nodded, standing up from the sofa. "Okay, well, if you change your mind at any point in the day just call and I'll come back home, okay?"

     "Now who's the one who wants to get out of work?"

     Reed chuckled and waved her off, picking up one of the cups from the tray Anya brought in, walking over to the stairs. Callas turned around and watched him.