55| IMPRINTING

Callas jumped slightly, feeling her heart rate pick up in shock. As she turned around, she saw a girl with short black hair, just ending below her jawline, copper-coloured skin, and deep brown eyes. She was beautiful, even if Callas could only technically see half of her face as she stared at Sam with a scowl. With her short-sleeved grey shirt and jean shorts, Callas could only assume that she was a shape-shifter, her abnormal body temperature keeping her from freezing in the frigid weather. Sam clenched his jaw slightly as he stared back at her, sending her a stiff nod, squeezing Emily's shoulder lightly. The girl rolled her eyes at him and turned to look at Callas, who was still taken aback by how breath-taking she was. There was a certain air around her, one that screamed a sense of authority, possibly to do with her rank in Jacobs pack. Callas doubted that with the look that she sent Sam, that she was going to be in his pack. The look she sent Callas was unreadable to her, considering she didn't know the girl, or what she was like.

     "Leah!" Seth beamed happily as he jumped down from the porch, making his way over to stand beside her, wrapping his arm around her waist while she wrapped hers around his shoulders, being slightly taller than he was.

     Callas shook her head out of her trance and looked down to the ground, finally analysing what Leah had told her. "Wait..." She turned her upper body back to Embry, still not looking away from the ground, and pointed to him weakly. "You—?" She breathed out, raising her eyebrow. "I..."

     "You didn't tell her?" Leah scoffed.

     "Okay," Callas started, looking back at Leah. "I'm new to this, I was only introduced yesterday."

     "Are you kidding me? You guys didn't tell her? You've been talking about her for weeks!"

     "I'm not nearly as drunk enough as I should be to be relatively okay with this." Callas placed her hand on her forehead, rubbing harshly.

     "You're a kid, Cal, you shouldn't be drinking until you're at least twenty-one. I'm not even old enough to drink," Reed finally spoke up, turning to look at Callas just before his eyes shifted to Leah and his body stilled.

     Callas heard his sharp intake of air and looked up at him. His mouth was slightly ajar as he breathed in. Reed's eyes didn't fully close as he blinked while he gave his complete undivided attention to her, obviously not wanting to completely blink, just in case she was to disappear before his very eyes. His breathing shallowed and he gulped. Seth, slowly, moved away from Leah and stood beside Callas, crouching down to pet Zeus, smiling to himself as he looked back at the others, then up to Callas—who continued to look between the two of them. Leah stayed silent and her hands shook slightly before she balled her fists to stop them from shaking. Reed breathed out again, opening his mouth wider to say something, but no sounds came out. He was stuck in a trance. Paul, who was closest to Reed, by Sam's truck, chuckled and stepped forward, patting Reed on the back, roughly, and squeezed his shoulders, shaking him ever-so-slightly, while looking over at the others. Callas looked to Sam, hoping to get a reaction out of him, but he seemed just as stunned as Reed and Leah were.

     "Well, this is... unexpected," Jacob mumbled from the porch.

     "What? Why?" Callas asked quickly as she turned back to look at him. "What's happening?"

     "Reed... just... imprinted... on Leah," Sam finally managed to speak up.

     "But I thought you said that it was impossible?" She questioned while still looking at Jacob.

     Jacob shook his head. "No. I said it was uncertain."

     Turning back to look at her brother, Callas furrowed her eyebrows together. "H-How long does this last for?" She asked quietly. Neither Reed or Leah had moved.