58| TALK ABOUT IT

After a few minutes, Callas sat up, the message was branded into her mind and it sent a shiver down her spine. As she removed her hands from her face, she turned to look to her left, staring at her jumper and jacket that hung off the back of the desk chair, sitting up to lean on her elbows, feeling her phone slide down to her lap. Callas grabbed her phone and stood up, slipping it into her back pocket before she quickly pulled her boots on, without tying the laces, then picked up her jumper to put on, without untucking her hair before she picked up the flight jacket and made her way towards the stairs after she closed the bedroom door behind herself. With a deep breath, Callas began to walk down, slowly. Each time her foot met the next step, her fists balled up tighter. When she got to the bottom, she noticed that Sam was in his usual chair, with Emily sitting on the armrest; Reed and Leah were sitting on the table, picking at some of the snacks that Emily left out; the rest of the boys were sitting on the sofas, silent as they heard Callas pause before her eyes met with Embry's.

Embry was sitting on the sofa that was pressed up against the wall, beside Quil and Jared. He was picking at the fraying fabric of the blanket that was thrown over the back of the sofa and hung on the armrest. The knitted blanket was a light beige with a black pattern, although she couldn't make out what it was. Callas awkwardly stayed standing at the bottom of the stairs, holding the flight jacket in her arms while she looked over at him. Discreetly, Embry motioned his head towards the sliding doors. She nodded back slowly and Embry stood up. No one spoke as the two of them made their way towards the doors to leave the house. Callas slid the door open and stepped out, Embry followed and closed the door behind him while Callas slipped the flight jacket on, pulling the jumper hood up over her head as the cold wind continued to blow around them. She shoved her hands into the flight jacket pockets and turned to face Embry. He turned his head back towards the house and, although no one was looking, he still knew that they were listening in to what he was saying.

"Maybe we should move away a bit, you know, have more privacy?" He suggested.

Callas looked inside as well and noticed Reed's jaw clenched and his hands tightened before Leah rested her hand on his while staring at the wall in front of her. That caused Reed to relax more and turn his head towards the doors, not looking directly out as his eyes were trained to the ground. She nodded. "Yeah, maybe we should."

As she looked away from Reed, Embry began to walk into the forest. She trailed behind him closely, taking her hands out of her pockets as she quickly held onto his arm to climb over a few of the roots and fallen trees, as well as climbing up small slopes and over the rocks. Her hands began to warm up as she continued to hold onto his short-sleeved covered arms, somehow not being as freaked out as she was the first time she found out the reason why he was a lot warmer than the average human would have been. Embry seemed to have visibly relaxed at the contact, feeling better knowing that Callas wasn't disgusted by him or angry about what had happened an hour ago. He turned back to look at her, smiling to himself as he noticed the look of concentration on her face as she continued to step over the uneven terrain. Without much thought, he gently pulled her closer to his body, smiling even more to himself when she didn't move away from him.

A few minutes later, Embry walked out towards a clearing, edging towards the side of the cliff. Callas held onto him tighter knowing that it was the highest point where he and the others would go cliff-diving for fun. He sat down on one of the rocks, leaving enough space for her to sit down next to him. She let go of his arm and sat down, shivering to herself before she slid closer to him, shoving her hands into her pockets. Only a few pieces of her hair flew around her face while the rest had been left untucked from the hood when she put it on, that and when she had lifted it up over her head. Embry noticed and tucked a piece behind her ear before he turned back to look at the water. She was certain that he could hear the erratic rhythm of her heartbeat as he did that.