31| RETURN

She wanted to reply. She really did. But the lump that formed in her throat was slowly choking her. Reed had tried to catch her attention once more, unwrapping his arm from around her shoulder. But it was no use, her eyes were still on the face of the Wight. Reed shook her shoulder once more, his voice rising. Callas opened her mouth, but the words didn't fall out like she wanted them to. He followed her stony glance and his jaw clenched, a low rumble came from his chest as he stood up. He could see him. Reed could see the Wight. All that time, Callas had thought that he was a figment of her imagination. Everyone around them paused, turning their attention to Reed before they looked in the direction that Reed was. Before Callas could stop him, Reed took off running, the Wight tilted his head before he backed away into the darkness. Sam huffed in frustration, glancing to the boys before he took off after Reed.

     Some of the boys followed—mainly Jared, Paul, and Quil, although Quil lagged behind a bit waiting for the others—leaving Callas and only a few of the older people behind. Zeus began barking loudly from the Jeep, growling before another wave of barks sounded from the Jeep. Callas glanced back at the Jeep before she turned to face the circle again. Everything was happening too quickly and it made her feel sick. She pushed herself up from the log and managed to grab hold of Embry's arm before he was able to disappear as well. He tried to pull his hand away from her but her grip tightened as she forced him to look at her, he gulped when his eyes met hers, he looked like he wanted to say something, but he remained silent, which wasn't comforting.

     "Embry, what's going on?"

     "Uh," Embry hesitated, continuously glancing back to the tree line. "I have to go."

     "No, Embry, tell me."

     "Callas, please," he begged, gently removing his arm from her grip.

     "Embry, let's go." Quil motioned his head. Jacob looked at Callas for a moment before he took off with Quil.

     Seth pulled Embry away. "I'm sorry, Callas, we have to do this." Seth frowned at her.

     The woman with the scars on her face, who was with Sam—who Callas could only assume to be Emily—stood up quickly when Callas tried to follow them. Callas was determined to find Reed, she didn't want him to encounter the Wight, but she also didn't want to be left alone without him. Emily placed her hands on Callas's shoulders pushing her back. A look in her eyes warned Callas not to follow, but she wasn't going to listen to someone she didn't know. Once again, Callas went to try and follow them again, wanting to know why Reed and the others had just left, and if Reed was alright. Emily kept muttering no, continuously pushing Callas back—who was now beginning to lose her patience as she glared at Emily, pushing her hands away violently.

     "Callas," Emily started.

     "I'm going after my brother," she rushed out, not bothering to look Emily in the eyes as she continued to stare into the darkness that covered the tree line and beyond.

     Emily shook her head. "You need to stay here."

     "The hell I do!" Callas yelled.

     "Please, it's safer if you stay."

     "Safer? If I stay?" She hissed. "No one here can protect us! Reed can! I'm going to find my brother, and you're not going to stop me."

     "You're not going in there, it's too dangerous." Emily placed her hands gently on Callas's upper arms, her voice was soft, trying to calm her down.

     "If you touch me one more time," Callas threatened as she pushed Emily's arms off her again.

     "That's enough," Billy ordered. Callas stepped back, breathing heavily as she turned to face Billy. "You need to calm down."