24| RIDE HOME

It was getting later in the afternoon, the other boys had packed up their own bags and put the empty Tupperware boxes, that Emily had given them, into their bags. Callas picked up her jacket, putting her phone in the pocket again before she trailed behind the boys up towards the stairs, her shoes on her feet. Each step, she was cringing at the feeling of sand in her socks and shoes as she walked. She really didn't want to walk back through the forest, but it was quicker than going around the forest and all the way down the road and to the house. Paul and Jared ran on ahead, putting each other in a headlock, yelling random things to one another. Quil and Seth were just behind them, talking civilly, while Jacob and Embry stayed behind with Callas.

     Her feet slowly walked up the stairs, hearing Jacob mumble something to Embry as they slowed down slightly. Callas could still feel the droplets from her hair run down her back, a small shiver left her body despite the warmth of the sun beaming down on them. When she got to the top, Seth was in the passenger seat—of the large truck—on his phone, while the others were sitting in the back on one side, rambling on at one another. Her body turned to walk across the road and into the forest when she heard Embry laugh quietly behind her, placing his hands on her upper arms, steering her towards the truck.

     "I'm not letting you walk home alone," he told her quietly, helping her onto the back of the truck with Paul holding her arms to help her as well.

     "It's not a far walk," she replied, sitting against the side of the truck, Embry moved over to her to sit closer to the back of the truck, sticking his legs out in front of himself while she crossed her legs. "It's probably only a ten-minute walk."

     "It's not up for debate, Cal." He looked over to her with a warm smile.

     "This is kidnapping," she whispered quietly while leaning closer to him.

     Somehow Jared heard. "Oh please, you wouldn't be complaining if Embry kidnapped you."

     Callas looked over to him and raised an eyebrow. "You're right, I wouldn't. With you, on the other hand, I'd be screaming bloody murder."

     Jared raised a hand to his chest, pouting at her. Embry snorted a laugh, subtly placing his arm behind Callas as he looked away—she doubted he even knew he was doing it, the look on his face proved that he didn't, or maybe he was just good at hiding it. She caught sight of the smirks from the other boys before looking into the front of the truck seeing Seth grinning widely at her, a small laugh left her lips as she shook her head. Jacob started up the truck, pulling out to drive along the road, Callas and Embry were both facing the woods. She quickly turned her head away to look in front of the truck, watching the road disappear under it. The other boys, including Embry, started up a new conversation, one Callas didn't really care to join, she focused on the hidden bridged road up ahead on the bend.

     She didn't recognise the area, mainly because Reed had never really driven down the road, he didn't need to. The school wasn't that close to the beach, and if they did go down to the beach it was through the forest—granted they went down there once, but it was still taken through the forest. From the looks of it, from what she could see, the bridge went over part of the forest, but some of the trees had grown taller than the bridge and the leaves covered the top, while the trees below were much shorter or not there at all. Jacob's music could be heard faintly from the back. As the truck drove over the bridge, Callas looked out over the side, her face grew pale when she saw the man. He was standing there leaning against a tree, both arms crossed over his chest. A sadistic smile grew on his face as he lifted a hand up to wiggle his fingers like he was waving at her. Callas blinked. When she looked back, he was gone.

     Instinctively, Callas moved closer to Embry, letting out a quiet sigh, like the weight of the world placed itself back onto her shoulders, her throat closed up. When she turned back around to see the boys, they were all staring off to the same place the man had previously been. Was he real? Could they see him? Surely not. It was all in her imagination. Wasn't it? Embry moved his arm from the side of the truck, actually placing it around her shoulders, drawing her closer. He looked back to the others. Callas, swearing she wasn't imagining it, saw Embry's jaw clench as he stiffly nodded a faint nod to the other boys. She could feel his body, almost... vibrate. A cold chill ran through her body, even though the air wasn't cold, and Embry's warmth shielded her from any form of cold chill. But then again, maybe it wasn't because of the wind.