Chapter 15: The change

Things had changed drastically at the mountain, no Robin running around and grinning from ear to ear as he pulled pranks "Can't believe Amber lost" Wally says, watching the blonde archer and their youngest member play a video game "Sorry" Amber says "Hey Z, can you cheer her up?" M'gann asks, Zatanna had come for a visit "Not a clue how to do that" Zatanna says and she adds "Though I might have a suggestion" "Gather up everyone" Batman says and everyone walks over to his and he opens a screen showing Gotham Academy "There is believed to be an attack on this school tomorrow by several of Gotham's villains, Poison Ivy, Joker and Mr. Freeze" "But Bats, how are we going to protect the school if we have our own school to worry about?" Wally asks and Artemis says "Amber and I can keep an eye out and contact you when there's trouble" "Yeah" Amber says and she mentions to her watch "Which reminds me Amber, I heard you talking to someone the other day after you locked yourself in the training room" Batman says and the girl gets pale "I was just asking advise from a... friend" she says and sweatdrops when Batman gives her a batglare "It's true" Amber says, but Batman snatches her wrist up and starts messing with her watch, but doesn't get anywhere "You'll get away this time, dismissed, he woke up" Batman says, upon hearing that Amber runs towards the zeta tubes.

At Wayne manor she runs to Dick's room and goes in, since she was in civilan clothes anyway and she stops to catch her breath "Ah Miss Amber, go easy on him please, he has a terrible headache" Alfred says and Amber walks over to the bed before sitting on it "How are you feeling, besides the headache?" she asks and Dick says "Weird, I don't remember what happened" "Probably best if you don't know" Alfred says and Amber hugs Dick "I was so worried about you" she says and Alfred says "She probably wouldn't have left your side if she didn't have other things to do" "Other things?" the confused boy asks and Amber mumbles "Stupid school and homework" "Speaking of which, have you finished it?" Alfred asks earning a slight nod "Amber, we have to go" Bruce says opening the door "Kay..." Amber says and she ruffle's Dick's hair before walking to Bruce and they head of "Won't they question where Robin is?" she asks as she hops in the batmobile "I told the press he took a break to perfect his training in the mountains" Batman says and they head of.

At the living room Alfred is serving Dick some tea while the boy is watching the news "Batman and Shadow Raven just arrived at the place where Mr. Freeze was last spotted, the Gotham museum" the reporter says and Alfred wants to change the channel, but the remote is snatched away "Master Richard, you have homework to catch up on" Alfred says, but the boy says "This is more interesting" "I see" Alfred says and he heads of to clean the mansion "The duo are still inside and the building has been frozen solid, oh wait, something's happening now", Batman is seen smashed through the ice, but landing on his feet and Shadow does a few backflips to land next to her mentor "Hey Alfred, shouldn't they have won by now?" Dick asks and Alfred says "Yes, but maybe their enemy came prepared".

At the battle Batman narrows his eyes at their enemy of the day "Any plans?" Shadow asks and Batman says "Not for the current situation, you?" "Got one" she says and runs back inside and Batman follows her "This plan of yours doesn't mean nearly freezing to death right?" he asks and Shadow chuckles "As if, I'm not Robin" she says and freezes for a moment realizing what she just said "Speaking of the little bird where is he? I want him to watch as I freeze you both to death" Freeze says and Shadow sweatdrops "Why don't the villains read newspapers?" she asks as she takes a few steps back "Let's see" she says and runs forwards as Batman goes to the side "All I have to do is this" she says and takes out her tractable staff and Batman trows a heat marble which hits Freeze right in the face and his protective glass helmet breaks ending the fight "You should play more baseball" Batman says and Shadow says "Where I can't hit enemies in the face, no thanks, well one down, two to go". They head back to the cave and Batman says after a while of searching "Can't locate the other two" "Well then, the worst one is gone" Shadow says and she sweatdrops "Oh wait, that's the Joker, not Freeze" she says plopping in a chair "Miss Amber, you have a visitor" Alfred says and Amber runs up after changing "Arty!" she says hugging the blonde who holds up a box "I brought pizza" she says and Alfred says "She did indeed" "Come on Al, she's my friend" Amber says earning a sigh from the butler "Alright, just this once" he says. So while the two girls are eating pizza and watching a movie a very sleepy Dick Grayson walks over "Since when does Alfred let someone bring pizza?" he asks plopping next to Amber who doesn't look at him "Since Artemis' my friend" Amber says and she sighs "And he said 'only this once'" Artemis adds "Master Richard, you should be resting" Alfred says walking over "You have school tomorrow" the butler adds and both girls look at each other "Alfred... We need to talk" Amber says getting up and pulling the butler to the kitchen. Artemis sweatdrops and looks at the time "Well it's gotten pretty late" she says and Amber walks in saying "You can sleep here, I'm sure your uncle won't mind" "I'll call him then" Alfred says and Artemis nods "Thanks". Both the girls knew there would be a lot of trouble without Robin to help them out against Poison Ivy and Joker, but they had to manage somehow, just until the rest of the team arrives.