Chapter 36: Returning

"Hey" Amber says as she passes Wally on the street and the speedster turns around "Are you sure you should be moving?" he asks and Amber says "Someone has to go grocery shopping", Wally however speeds over and takes her three bags "Why are you here?" she asks and Wally thinks for a while "Well... Someone has been asking around for you" he explains earning a raised eyebrow "Not a fan of course" he says and chuckles "Fans know where you live anyway" "Actually Wally, I wasn't bringing this to the penthouse" Amber says and the two enter an alley "Thanks for carrying those, my arm isn't fully healed yet" she says taking her bags back before entering the out of order phone booth "Recognized Shadow Angel" a female voice announces and Wally rolls his eyes following her to her island.

There she hums as she enters the house and she puts everything into the kitchen "You do still live at the penthouse right?" he asks and Amber says "Yep, I come here when I need inspiration for my books and it's almost finished" she says grabbing her laptop "So let's go" she says only to see Wally put everything in the right place.

Back in Bludhaven the two enter the penthouse and are surprised to see someone they didn't expect "What are you doing here?" Amber asks narrowing her eyes "Can't even visit my little sister it seems" the male says and Amber points to the door "Get out! I still haven't forgiven you" she says and her brother sighs leaving. "You still hate him don't you?" Wally asks earning a nod "He doesn't care our parents died" Amber says "I nearly died, but he doesn't know that". After an hour or three Dick comes home and he says "You do know there's someone who wants to talk to you right?" "Yes" Amber says hugging him "How was work?" she asks earning a chuckle "Good, the news that Shadow Angel died is spreading like wildfire" he says and Wally says "Dude, you're home!" "He helped me with the groceries for the island" Amber says.

On a roof the male is watching the three using binoculars and he chuckles, this was bound to be interesting, if she didn't continue to ignore him that is and it could also be troublesome she got herself a protective boyfriend.

Later at the island Artemis Wally and Amber are just messing around when Tim runs in "Dick got injured" he says and the three turn to him "At work" he adds and the three run of. At the hospital Wally says "We came to see Richard Grayson" "Right, follow me" the nurse says. In the room they're greeted by Bruce who waves at them and they walk over "Who was it?" Amber asks and Bruce says "Your brother, I don't think he'll like the fact he'd being ignored by you" "Is he going to be alright?" Wally asks earning a nod.

Since they had an important mission Wally, Artemis and Amber decided to go, at the mountain Amber is instantly hugged by Beast Boy "I'll be going back to retirement after this" she says, Batman arrives and he says "There's a mysterious gem that gives powers to anyone who comes in contact with it, but loses their powers without the gem, it's stolen and you need to find out where it is and get it back" "And where are we suppose to go?" Robin asks "The Misty Forest" Batman says and he looks at the group "Also, we don't know what will happen if you are in contact with the gem for long, so be careful" he adds.

In the forest M'gann says "Split up in groups of 3", they wander around carefully and Shadow, Artemis and Wally are using the tree tops "I see a building" Artemis says, but the tree shakes and the three loose their footing.

At the lab the scientist is smirking at his new test subjects "Only the humans" he says and everyone us brought to a giant room "I'll decide what I'll do with the rest oncr we finish the first test". At the batcave Batman tries to call, but he only gets static, meaning something must have happened, but Alfred says "Trust the master Bruce" "Yeah, they'll be able to handle it" Dick says leaning against the railling "And that means you don't have to go after them. What's the worst that can happen?" he asks and Batman says "One of them could end up with unwanted and dangerous powers".

At the lab the scientist is annoyed most of the team already have powers "Bring those 5 to the holding chamber" he says and Artemis slightly comes to and she sees a weird glowing crystal before passing out again.

When the League hears that Batman didn't get a response they start to worry "Someone else went missing there too. To be more precise, Amber's brother" Superman says and Flash asks "Is't he the one that shot her boyfriend?" "Yep" Wonder Woman says and Batman sighs "We'll wait for three more hours, Aquaman is already keeping an eye on the place, but there's no news yet". In the lab Shadow and Batgirl come too first "My head" Shadow says and she shoots in a sitting position once she sees what room they are in "Arty" she says shaking her blonde friend while Batgirl tries to pick the lock "I'm up" Artemis says and she looks around "Where are the guys?" she asks and they hear a scream which they recognize at Robin's "Batgirl move" Shadow says and the red head barely has time to move aside and Shadow kicks the door open so the three run out "Wait, I know where the crystal is" Artemis says, but sleeping gas knocks them out cold.

Outside the scientist just throws Beast Boy with the rest "What should we do with them?" one of the assistance asks and the scientist smirks "Trow them of the cliff" he says so the two assistances start trowing the unconscious non humans of the cliff into the sea.