Chapter 22: Double date gone wrong

To say Nightwing was happy that Shadow was back was a huge understatement "Come on dude, you two haven't been on a date since forever" Wally says earning a sigh from his raven haired best friend "I know, but there are too many missions, we can't just leave that as it is" Dick says and the door opens "Why didn't you wake me?" Amber asks still half asleep as she walks over "You're still not fully rested" Artemis says seeing her best friend in her half sleepy state. Amber sighs and sits down on the couch "Whatever Arty" she says and then gets a brilliant idea "We could go on a picnic, someone could use a very needed break" she says, this only earns her a glare "Fine, then I'll tell Bats you're overworking yourself" she says and Wally chuckles "Sure Amber, do that while Arty is going to prepare the food" he says earning a whack on his head, but the blonde archer leaves none the less. "See you in Gotham in about an hour" Amber says before leaving the room so she can change, noticing the annoyed groan from her boyfriend realizing he has no choice.

At Gotham park Artemis and Wally are getting everything ready when the other two arrive "She hasn't told anyone we're not coming" Dick says as he goes to help Wally "Duh, wanna see if they can go a day without us, plus, Batman has it covered" Amber says earning a chuckle from her blonde friend. It doesn't take long however for Amber's phone to go off, so she answers it quickly, they were expecting someone to call after all "Amber here" she says and Batman, not sounding amused asks "Where are you and Nightwing?" "Let's see, picnic with Arty and Wally" Amber says and she grins hearing her mentor sigh "Fine, he needed the day of and it was about time you two went on a date as well" Bats says, Wally hears it and chuckles "Enjoy your day off" is the last thing Batman says before ending the call. "See, even he knew it" Wally says, but Artemis says "Let's just enjoy the day, it's rare we can spend time with them".

At the mountain Black Canary is grinning "It seems Shadow and Nightwing took a day off, don't call them unless you wanna be beaten up by Shadow during your next training session" Batman says and the original team members and mentors currently present know enough "But what if we realy need them?" Lagoon boy asks, so Robin says "Trust me, don't even think about calling them, they're on a date and you know what happened the last time Batman called them to the cave in the middle of it" "No, wasn't there" Lagoon boy says, so Connor says "Batman almost got beaten by Shadow, almost" "And she was pissed as hell" M'gann adds "Even Connor lost against her that day".

Back to Gotham, Wally gets hit again "If you didn't eat so fast you wouldn't have finished your share already" Artemis says, but Amber takes another basket "I tried baking a cake, but well..." she says, Wally takes it and opens it "Looks good though" he says taking a piece and he tries it "Tastes good too" he says, Amber smiles and says "Thanks". However before Artemis can try it yet another phone goes of, this time not Amber's, but Dick's phone, which he answers with an annoyed sigh "This better be worth it" he says, causing Garfield, or Beast Boy, to gulp "Well, Batman has detected trouble in Gotham park and told me to warn you" "Look, if something happens we'll take care of it, was that all?" Dick asks and the phone is taken by Robin "While you're there anyway, Bats suggests you stay home for once" he says and adds "Enjoy your date" before ending the call.

By the time it's almost 3pm they're cloud gazing, there hadn't been any trouble at all "Maybe Batman was wrong" Amber asks, but sits up hearing something in the distance "Or not" she says, soon enough it starts raining pretty badly and the four look at each other, Artemis however is lifted up into the air by a plant "Wally, got your costume?" Amber asks as the rain turns into a thunderstorm "Yep" he says, they quickly find the scource of the storm and have to dodge plant coming toward them "Ivy" Wally says as he runs forwards to attack, but he's stopped by a plant grabbing him after the others. "I think I'll start with the beauty here" Ivy says walking to Amber, who's struggling against the plants grip "Leave her alone you freak!" Wally yells, yep, now he hoped one of this friends had a plan. Ivy turns to the speedster and smirk "I'd almost say you'd want to protect your girlfriend, but I know she's just a close friend" she says. A batarang stops her from doing however and Ivy turns to see Robin "And that's what you get for letting your guard down" he says and soon the plant holding Amber and Dick are cut by an arrow, so the two leave after Robin says "Go and get help". Shortly after they left Nightwing trows a batarang and destroys the machine, but Ivy says "It's too late, my plan will succeed" "Can I take it out on her?" Shadow asks earning a nod from the other four heroes "Dude, your girlfriend's scary" Robin whispers to Nightwing who chuckles. After beating the crap out of Ivy they head of to check the damage "Is it me or are there more plants now?" Artemis asks and at that moment Batman arrives "The plants will die without the thunderstorm, where is she?" he asks and Nightwing points to where they left the villain "Head to the mountain" Batman says looking at Nightwing, Robin and Shadow, the girl obviously not taking that too well "Can I beat the crap out of you during training then?" she asks earning a sigh "You can try", Artemis and Wally say goodbye and the three head towards the mountain, once they arrive everyone is quiet "Training room" Black Canary says and Shadow walks of "Who do you think will win?" Robin asks, but Connor says "Last time she nearly beat him, only way to find out is to watch".

Soon everyone is looking at Batman and Shadow "And last time she didn't have that outfit yet" M'gann points out, after a while it seems like Batman is winning, but Shadow dodges and tackles him to the ground "You've improved" Batman says and Shadow sticks out her tongue as she helps him up "Never thought I'd see the day" Black Canary says and she smiles slightly.