Chapter 39: The invitation

With everything back to normal Amber continued her life as if that mission never happened at all "He's late" she says, she was standing outside the police station waiting 15 minutes for her boyfriend, she goes in and instantly walks to his desk "Hi Amber a moment, I need to sort these cases" he says, so she grabs the pile of files and the one he has in his hand and dumps them on someone else's desk who doesn't question it seeing the bad mood "It's okay, I'll do these, wanted to get some extra hours anyway" he says and Amber turns to Dick who sighs in defeat, nope, no more stalling for him "You left me waiting for 15 minutes" Amber says crossing her arms and Dick looks around the room to see if anyone is planning to help him out "Grayson, this report isn't your best work, redo it" the boss says and he sees an irritated Amber "Actually sir I worked on that case too, I'll redo it, Grayson's girlfriend isn't too happy with him" another policemen says and Amber taps her foot on the ground "I'll do it myself" he says and he looks at Amber "Sorry" he adds, she gives him a glare and leaves "Why are you working so hard anyway?" the boss asks earning a sigh "The thing is... I want to ask her sonething important, but I don't wanna ask Bruce for help in getting enough money, he and my brothers know and he respects my decision" Dick says and the boss nods in understanding "Well why didn't you say so?" he asks and Dick rubs the back of his head "Well I knew you'd send me home early to plan things without taking anything from my salary".

Amber arrives at Wayne manor and slams the front door close "That stupid idiot, first he tells me to wait for him and then he takes some more work" she says trowing her coat on a chair "Alfred where's Bruce?" she asks and the butler simply points down "Got it" she says and heads to the batcave "Bruce how the hell did you raise that stupid boyfriend of mine?" she asks earning several confused looks "He ditched our date" she says and sighs plopping on a chair "We were planning to go to the cinema, pick a movie and watch it, but he won't leave work for some reason, he has enough hours to take a long vacation by now" she says, Superman flies over, she hadn't noticed him because she's frustrated, and says "I'm sure he has a good reason" "He has" Bruce says and he adds "Jason is complaining about the team not having a good training room so he's here if you wanna spar" "No thank, I'll go to the mountain and beat Connor is three minutes" Amber says leaving through the zeta tube.

At the mountain everyone is surprised to see her and Connor asks "What's wrong and where's Nightwing?" "At work, there now you know what's wrong, he canceled our date" he says and Cassie says "You need someone to talk to" "No she needs someone to spar against" M'gann says and Cassie says "I'll do it!", this silences everyone in the room and they quickly step away "Whatever you say" Robin says and the circle begins to glow as Black Canary walks in "Shouldn't we warn Wondergirl?" she whispers to Beast Boy who whispers back "Too late for that". They begin and Cassie flies forward, but Amber dodges the punch and she kicks Cassie away before moving into fighting stance "I'm sure there are a few that would be delighted to fight you, you know, bad guys" Robin says and Amber says "I'm not a hero anymore, well half", she hits Cassie with her elbow and throws the girl on the ground so the computer announces "Wondergirl fail" "Who wants to go next?" Amber asks and this time Black Canary walks up to her "I'll go" she says. The two circle around each other and Batman walks in "She's sparring against Black Canary" Robin says and Batman sighs.

By the time Dick Grayson leaves work it's almost two in the morning and his boss had kicked him out, when he comes home he sees Amber asleep on the couch with three empty ice cream cans on the table and a horror movie still playing. He sighs and turn of the movie before cleaning up the ice cream cans, he couldn't tell her why he had to work so much "I guess I should put her in bed" he mumbles picking Amber up and heading to their bedroom when Bruce calls him "Not now" he says and Bruce says "I just wanna remind you that you still have an open invitation for the League, also tell Amber her brother is joining" "Bruce I just got home, please give me a break" Dick says and Bruce sweardrops "Yep, she was right to be that angry, first she beat Wondergirl in record time, Black Canary barely lasted ten minutes and I was down in five minutes, then Superman arrived and asked if he could give it a go, that lasted two hours before Amber finally was down. I know you wanna do it yourself, but then hurry up. She left saying she would watch a movie at home and wait for you, that was four hours ago".

The next morning Amber sighs as she's making breakfast for herself, Dick had left early so he'd be home in time for dinner, she sighs sadly as she sits down with her food "You look down, maybe the reviews of your book will cheer you up" Barbara says, but Amber says "I just wanna know why Dick is so busy with work", she reads a letter from Bruce and sighs "M'gann and Connor said they'd join, so did Wally and Arty, Dick agreed as well" she says and Barbara says "Why shouldn't you? You've been taking a break long enough" "I can't, not as Shadow Angel, I have to find a new name" Amber says and she is surprised when Barbara puts the gem in front of her "Get that idiotic brother of mine, I'm going to join" she says taking the gem "And no one besides the original team will know it's me".